PDA

View Full Version : When to use a ROS

Anthony Whitesell
12-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Last weekend I picked up a Bosch ROS at a local auction. Now I need to get some paper for it. I was able to get it for $55 and appears to be $110-120 retail (small gloat :)) so I figured what they hey. Typically I use a Delta 22-560 planer which does a great job and then either turn to the Jet 16-32 drum sander or hand sanding depending on the size of the piece. So I don't know exactly when to use the ROS, and consequently don't know which grits to get.

So my question is: When and why do you turn to your ROS?

Rob Cunningham
12-15-2008, 2:51 PM
I use my ROS on larger pieces such as table tops or cabinet sides after they go through the drum sander. I find it difficult to keep flat on smaller items like rails and stiles. For those I use a 1/2 sheet finish sander. Also, after doing a top or side with the ROS I will go over it with the finish sander.

Richard M. Wolfe
12-15-2008, 3:18 PM
I find the ROS to do a better job than a drum sander as the drum sander only sands in one direction which can leave scratches. I typically use 80, 120 and 220 grit. For soft woods I may skip using the 80 grit as it may be too aggressive. The 220 usually only gets a few swipes across the surface to get rid of potential nibs that would stick up when the base finish coat is applied.

Chris Padilla
12-15-2008, 3:29 PM
A ROS is typically the last powered (tailed) sanding mechanism one might use on a piece of wood.

Most don't take it beyond 220 but the wood, your finish, and your desired result will dictate everything....

Greg Cole
12-15-2008, 5:01 PM
As sanding is the Devil's work, I'll say use it as little as possible.
I've found hand planes and scrapers to bo a better job and be much more enjoyable to use in general... certains tasks or jobs do need to be sanded and a ROS is used to do the gentle smoothing not to hog odd material per say.

Chris Padilla
12-15-2008, 5:34 PM
Greg,

If you've never used a Festool sander and vacuum, give it a shot some time. I agree about sanding but using the Festool system actually makes sanding quite tolerable! :)