PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Chill

Joe Pelonio
12-15-2008, 8:31 AM
After the 6" of snow Saturday night, and Sunday's high winds most of the day, we had a clear night with the stars and moon shining brightly. This morning it's 17 degrees, and supposed to get even colder as the week goes on. In our 15 years here the coldest was 13 one night last winter, and it looks like that could be beaten tonight.

I don't know if our cold is related to the ice storms and frigid weather of the northeast, but I hope those people are doing OK and warm up soon.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-15-2008, 8:44 AM
Good morning Joe! Yup....teeth chattering cold here in the Inland Northwest too! We were supposed to get into the single digits last night. Haven't looked yet to see if it made it. Just about 1" of snow when I went to bed last night. Schools closings north of us in the panhandle. Blizzard conditions when we went to bed last night.

Greg Cole
12-15-2008, 9:26 AM
9 am yesterday morning it was 60 degrees winds from the south, by 5 pm it was 8 with winds from the north at about 30 mph..... darn Canadians can keep their cold air masses!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-15-2008, 9:36 AM
9 am yesterday morning it was 60 degrees winds from the south, by 5 pm it was 8 with winds from the north at about 30 mph..... darn Canadians can keep their cold air masses!

Is it a result of NAFTA?:eek:

I was wrong...it only got down to 14º F here last night.

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2008, 9:36 AM
Woke up yesterday and went to bed last night with 60º F temps outside. Woke up this morning to 31º F with winds blowing and temps staying about what they are.

Woke up feeling crappy with sinus and sore throat. What a way to enter into a holiday season.

Derek Tuchscherer
12-15-2008, 9:40 AM
after walking from the parking lot into work, -30 C (-22F) here this morning, -45C (-49F) with the wind-chill....Looked at my wireless weather station this morning, max temp this summer 38C (100F), min temp was this morning....wow what a variance!

Hey Ken...At least there is no duties to be collected...:p

Joe Pelonio
12-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Is it a result of NAFTA?:eek:

I was wrong...it only got down to 14º F here last night.
Just wait Ken, look for colder yet tonight, and Friday is supposed
to be the coldest of the week.

I just remembered to turn off the pump in the fish pond, and found 1" of ice on top.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Joe,

Saturday night I remembered our outside potable water spigot that we use to fill the 5th wheel tanks. I ran down stairs and shut off the valve to it. Then outside to open it and let it drain. Whew!

Heather Thompson
12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Woke up at 5AM and it was 4 degrees, minus 14 with the wind chill, went into the shop and it was a nice 67 degrees. The weather station just reported that it is warming up outside, up to 7 degrees, probably need to turn the heat down in the shop now. :D

Heather

Belinda Barfield
12-15-2008, 11:48 AM
For those of you who don't love the cold, I'm wishing warm breezes your way. 71 today, headed for 77 on Wednesday. Going to the beach in December, man life's tough. ;)

Joe Pelonio
12-15-2008, 1:48 PM
For those of you who don't love the cold, I'm wishing warm breezes your way. 71 today, headed for 77 on Wednesday. Going to the beach in December, man life's tough. ;)
It's 71 there? I never thought of you as being so mean! :eek:

Ken Garlock
12-15-2008, 2:19 PM
Well, in McKinney it is 25.4 at this hour, with a low this AM of 24.

However, Our son lives in Bend Oregon, and it was 3 below there this morning. Currently, it is +2.9.:eek: in Bend.

Belinda Barfield
12-15-2008, 2:41 PM
It's 71 there? I never thought of you as being so mean! :eek:

Yes, Joe. I'm sorry for being so cruel. Actually I wish we had a little cold weather occasionally. It would be nice to wear at least one or two my sweaters. I don't know why I still have them.

On New Year's Eve last year it was a little cool for swimming, but a bunch of us stood around in the pool anyway. Then we went out to the dock and drank Champagne. IIRC it was in the 50s that night. Just right for a light jacket.

Thomas Knighton
12-15-2008, 4:15 PM
Yep, Christmas is right around the corner, and I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt right now. Man I love living in South Georgia :D

Of course, in August we'll have 100+ temps with 100% humidity on a daily basis, so it all evens out ;)

Tom

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2008, 4:42 PM
Yep, Christmas is right around the corner, and I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt right now. Man I love living in South Georgia :D

Of course, in August we'll have 100+ temps with 100% humidity on a daily basis, so it all evens out ;)

Tom

LOL....!!!!!! Our weather here (in August) resembles that remark very well Tom!!!! 27º F and freezing rain all day so far today.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-15-2008, 4:44 PM
We were up to 16ºF just a short while ago.

I'm headed to the shop where it's a balmy 65ºF.....fluorescent lights shining....could get a little tan from the halogen lamp over my lathe!:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2008, 5:02 PM
Just came in from chopping ice from around the mailbox and it is starting to get chilly out. Temp gauge says its 0* and there is also about a 15 mph wind - so the cold does tend to get your attention! They are predicting tonight that it will drop down to -15* to -20*. Yup - gots to love da U.P. in da winter!

Greg Cole
12-15-2008, 5:05 PM
For those of you who don't love the cold
In addition to my previous post, I enjoyed the lovely single digit temp and double digit breeze from a treestand bow hunting!
Dunno about loving it, but I don't mind.

Thomas Knighton
12-15-2008, 5:15 PM
Then you should swing down this way for a visit where it's nice and warm :D

Tom

Scott Myers
12-15-2008, 5:23 PM
I'm one of the weird snow skiiers who wants cold this time of year. So when it starts getting warm this time of year, I'm not real happy. Melts my snow! It was near 60 degrees here on Sunday. Pretty weird for mid December. You could ski with just a turtleneck, ski pants and no gloves, so that was nice.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-15-2008, 5:27 PM
Scott...I"ve skiied at -15ºF and later took my youngest son to the emergency room for frostbite treatment. He refused to wear a ski hat because it didn't match his ski outfit. The gause bandages on both ears didn't match either!:rolleyes:That was the 1st day of our planned 4 day 3 resort ski trip. We returned home on the 2nd day. After breaking my back, I elected to discontinue anything that might lead to that situation again.

Joe Pelonio
12-15-2008, 7:07 PM
Heck, just unloading the truck after an installation is hard at 17, I can't imagine going outside at -15. It did get up to 28 this afternoon but now the sun is down and it's dropped to 22 so far.

Jon Grider
12-15-2008, 8:26 PM
I thought we were going to have some chili recipes.

Don Bullock
12-15-2008, 9:33 PM
Last week we were in the 80s, but this week that front that went through the North West has made it cold and rainy in Southern California. Today we were in the mid-50s. Tonight it's supposed to get down to 39.:eek:

Clifford Mescher
12-15-2008, 9:45 PM
I thought we were going to have some chili recipes.
Me too. Clifford

Scott Myers
12-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Good night Ken! -15F is just a "bit" extreme. Forget ski mere hats or worrying about what matches at -15! We're talking balaclavas, mittens and hoods! One run and a half hour in the lodge drinking something warm before the next run sounds about right.

Scott...I"ve skiied at -15ºF and later took my youngest son to the emergency room for frostbite treatment. He refused to wear a ski hat because it didn't match his ski outfit. The gause bandages on both ears didn't match either!:rolleyes:That was the 1st day of our planned 4 day 3 resort ski trip. We returned home on the 2nd day. After breaking my back, I elected to discontinue anything that might lead to that situation again.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Scott,

We get some really nice powder here. We have roughly 9 ski resorts within a 4-6 hour drive....some as close 90 minutes away. The temps create some fantastic powder! I once saw my 5'2" wife......in powder so deep....when she tried to stand up...she was suspended....she had to lay on her belly.....and slither like a snake with one pole in her hand......digging trying to find the other pole.

That was the day she learned to ski powder. Prior to that day she skied powder like she skied ice. Of course with powder, the secret is to point them down hill and when you get up enough speed to rise up on top...make long slow turns to control your speed. If you make tight turns..you wash off too much speed and sink and tumble ass over tea kettle. That day I finally convinced her to point them down hill...she was like a kid in a candy shop after she got the hang of it! It was -18ºF that day. It was the day after Chrismas. There was maybe 20 people on the whole mountain. We could make fresh tracks everywhere we went.

Greg Peterson
12-15-2008, 10:39 PM
It was about 22 when I got home this evening and walked the dog. The walk got shortened considerably once we got out relative shelter of our cul-de-sac and were exposed to wind.

Weather looks like it's going to stay cold for the next week and we're going to get hit with more snow Wednesday and this coming weekend.

Us folks living in the Willamette (pronounced will-lamb-it) valley do about as well with snow and ice as those folks in southern California do with rain. but the funniest ones to watch are the guys with the 4x4's that pass everyone like they're on greased lightening. Even more fun to watch 'em try to stop.:D

Joe Pelonio
12-16-2008, 8:12 AM
This morning it's 13F. That ties a record for our home in the last 15 years here set last year in late January. Being only 5am, it may get even colder yet.

Craig D Peltier
12-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Well im about 15 miles from Joe up at 400 feet. we got about 5 inches here.It hasnt been above freezing in a few days which is unusual. It was 12 yesterday morning and right now its 10.
The roads up on the hill where I am are horrendous. No sand for the most part and alot of hills.I know I have 2 wheel drive and had to pull my trailer yesterday.I was sliding and had white knuckles.
On saturday I was 40 miles out from here and it was rain and snow as soon as elevation was 40 feet or above ( GPS) it was all snow.

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Yup... 10:30 in the morning and it has finally warmed up to -10*F but that is only because the backyard temperature gauge is sitting in the sun! Looks like winter is finally here!

Dennis Peacock
12-16-2008, 10:38 AM
28º F here today. Everything is white....but not with snow....it's all frozen sleet. Must have about 1/2" of sleet on the ground. Even had a little bit more added this morning. Supposed to be in the lower 60's on Thursday. :eek:

Belinda Barfield
12-16-2008, 10:54 AM
You guys all bundle up and stay warm. We are supposed to hit 80 tomorrow. I really wish we would have some cold weather. It's really tough to get in the Christmas spirit when you pick out a tree in your shorts and T-shirt. Anyone know a Christmas song about palm trees, or maybe chestnuts baking on the asphalt?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2008, 10:57 AM
It was 4º F here just an hour ago.

I wear a t-shirt when I go from the house to the shop but I don't waste any time doing it.

Scott Myers
12-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Ken,

Just rub it in why don't ya! I am so envious of you guys that live out in the mountains. I have to spend the big bucks and fly out there and then only for a week at a time. So the chances of me hitting it on a heavy powder day are pretty minimal. Getting 6" or so has happened a number of times, but the big stuff I only had happen once. I was like your wife. I just didn't know what to do with the stuff. And that was back in the pre-shaped ski days when I was on 205's. Luckily, I was with some guys that did and they gave me similar advice to just turn them down the mountain and let yourself float up and keep your skis tight together. After that bit of advice, it was pure bliss. It was the only time I experienced 3' deep powder.

Unfortunately, with my line of work, I have to live here where I know the industries. And then there are the family ties of course.

Scott,

We get some really nice powder here. We have roughly 9 ski resorts within a 4-6 hour drive....some as close 90 minutes away. The temps create some fantastic powder! I once saw my 5'2" wife......in powder so deep....when she tried to stand up...she was suspended....she had to lay on her belly.....and slither like a snake with one pole in her hand......digging trying to find the other pole. ...There was maybe 20 people on the whole mountain. We could make fresh tracks everywhere we went.

Greg Peterson
12-16-2008, 11:43 AM
You guys all bundle up and stay warm. We are supposed to hit 80 tomorrow. I really wish we would have some cold weather. It's really tough to get in the Christmas spirit when you pick out a tree in your shorts and T-shirt. Anyone know a Christmas song about palm trees, or maybe chestnuts baking on the asphalt?

Now you're just rubbing it in. :D

Don Bullock
12-16-2008, 5:08 PM
...Anyone know a Christmas song about palm trees, or maybe chestnuts baking on the asphalt?

Yep, the first stanza of White Christmas.

The sun is shining.
The grass is green.
The orange and palm trees sway.
There's never been such a day
In Beverly Hills, L.A.
But it's December the twenty-fourth,
And I'm longing to be up north.

We'll be back in the 80s next week in Southern California after this Arctic storm passes through.:D

Joe Pelonio
12-16-2008, 5:54 PM
I know Belinda is not really trying to be mean but it sure does sound like she's gloating! 4 years ago we were in Hawaii in December and that sure seemed odd, over 80 with holiday displays and Christmas trees for sale. (very expensive too after the long trip form the mainland).

We were down to 12 this morning but with the sun shining brightly it's up to 27. In my travels there were a few white-knuckle moments with icy spots but for the most part the roads are clear. No for long though, as tomorrow we have 100% chance of snow, Thursday 40%. At least it should warm up to lows of 25 and 16, highs of 34 and 31.

Thomas Knighton
12-16-2008, 9:15 PM
I'm sure Belinda isn't gloating at all. Me, on the other hand, I'll gloat all day long about my warm weather. I freakin' HATE the cold, so this is right up my alley.

I'm dreaming of a green Christmas! ;)

Tom
who doesn't mind cutting the grass on Christmas eve :D

Joe Pelonio
12-16-2008, 9:56 PM
I haven't seen my grass since Sunday (it's white) and haven't mowed it since early September, probably won't have to until May. That I don't miss.

Thomas Knighton
12-17-2008, 5:32 AM
I haven't seen grass since I looked out the window. Of course, it's all brown (we haven't been this warm for a bit after all ;)).

I just hate winter. It's part of the reason I don't want to leave southwest GA. I couldn't cut it where some of you guys are!

Tom

Belinda Barfield
12-17-2008, 7:47 AM
I know Belinda is not really trying to be mean but it sure does sound like she's gloating! 4 years ago we were in Hawaii in December and that sure seemed odd, over 80 with holiday displays and Christmas trees for sale. (very expensive too after the long trip form the mainland).

I apologize for coming across as gloating, Joe. I can't take the level of cold you are experiencing, but it would be nice if it was a little cooler here. We don't really actually have winter and I miss it. According to the weather report we will drop down into the 30s Sunday night, so at least it may be a little cooler for Christmas.

Joe Pelonio
12-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Belinda, at least we can enjoy the view this morning with 4" so far and still falling. It's a good day to stay home with lots of wrecks and abandoned cars out there.

Bonnie Campbell
12-18-2008, 1:40 PM
My daughter that lives by the Columbia river called. She said they have 6"+ of snow and it was still coming down heavy. By the looks of the weather reports she'll see her first white Christmas :)

Joe Pelonio
12-18-2008, 1:59 PM
My daughter that lives by the Columbia river called. She said they have 6"+ of snow and it was still coming down heavy. By the looks of the weather reports she'll see her first white Christmas :)
Where she is, it probably will be white. Looking at the 10 day forecast here, they show snow every day through 12/27 except the 25 when it shows rain!
We've been here 15 years and have yet to see a white Christmas. One year we had a 10 minute flurry but it didn't stick and then the sun came out.

Glenn Clabo
12-18-2008, 2:06 PM
Looks like it's catching on on this side...looks like an inside weekend...

Forcast For Newport, RI

Friday: Snow and widespread blowing snow, mainly after noon. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 31. Breezy, with a northeast wind 21 to 24 mph increasing to between 31 to 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Friday Night: Snow and widespread blowing snow, mainly before 11pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 23. Windy, with a north wind between 20 and 26 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Saturday: Snow showers likely, mainly after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Northeast wind between 9 and 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly between midnight and 1am. Cloudy and breezy, with a low around 24. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: Snow and freezing rain likely before 10am, then freezing rain between 10am and 11am, then rain after 11am. High near 48. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Sunday Night: Rain and snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-18-2008, 2:51 PM
Hey Glen - I'm with ya. I'm in Mansfield, just over the MA border, and I'm prepared to make it an "at-home" weekend.

Thomas Knighton
12-18-2008, 2:54 PM
Yeah, and I'm going home and firing up the AC.

What a strange, strange year for weather ;)

Tom

Joe Pelonio
12-18-2008, 4:17 PM
Sammy enjoyed the deep snow for a while, but then I guess his feet got cold.

Chris Padilla
12-18-2008, 4:34 PM
We got some snow in the "hills" to the East of me here in the South Bay Area. Those are at around 2000 feet but nothing at sea-level here...just 32ºF as I headed out on my bicycle to commute to work. Wind chill had it down to 27ºF. This is mighty cold for 'round these here parts....

Joe Pelonio
12-18-2008, 4:38 PM
We got some snow in the "hills" to the East of me here in the South Bay Area. Those are at around 2000 feet but nothing at sea-level here...just 32ºF as I headed out on my bicycle to commute to work. Wind chill had it down to 27ºF. This is mighty cold for 'round these here parts....
Wow, that is unusual. That will get my sister-in-law in Castro Valley ready for coming up here next week.

I remember Mt. Diablo and Mt. Hamilton getting a bit of snow some years, but in 40 years only saw it at sea level one time, I think it was 1975.

Ted Shrader
12-18-2008, 5:43 PM
Today's temps 12-18-2008

You know it is still pretty early in the season and it is bound to get worse.

Ted

Don Bullock
12-18-2008, 6:34 PM
You know it is still pretty early in the season and it is bound to get worse.

Ted

You just had to go there Ted.:eek:

Joe Pelonio
12-19-2008, 9:17 AM
I hope most people here will stay home safe today. All that snow has frozen hard, as it's 16F, and the roads will be worse than yesterday. Today and Saturday are supposed to be cold but sunny, then Sunday they are talking about ice pellets, snow, and winds of 50mph sustained, with gusts to 70.
With all the weight of the snow and ice on the trees that will make for a lot of power outages. Time to gas up the generator.