PDA

View Full Version : Need finishing advice ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-13-2004, 11:22 PM
I'd posted a couple weeks back about starting to try to refinish a 1916 Singer sewing machine that was given to me by a neighbor. Refinishing a piece is new territory for me. I got it disassembled, the verneer off, sanded it, and stained all of the wood. I used a wire brush and naval jelly to remove the rust on the metal base and painted it a gloss black. I applied three coats of Teak Oil to the wood, let it dry four days and reassembled it. Now my question is ... can I apply a wax finish on the top to protect it more, or is there a problem applying wax over the oil finish? I'd like a slight luster to it, but didn't want it to be too glossy. Any advice from the guru's out there? Here are a couple of shots. Thanks in advance.

Todd Burch
06-14-2004, 1:23 AM
Ron, about the only protection wax gives wood is from dust actually touching the wood beneath it. It might make a piece more slick, thus in certain cases, avoiding scratches, but that's about it from the "protection" department. I would suggest getting and reading Bob Flexner's book "Understanding Wood Finishing".

For a slight luster, you can coat it with varnish, lacquer or shellac, or a varnish/oil blend (Tried & True is mentioned here at SMC a lot, as are other varnish/oil blends). If it's too glossy for you at that point, use #0000 steel wool to dull down the finish. Or, use a dull lacquer if that is your choice. I've used Minwax Antique Finishing Oil before too (it's a blend).

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-14-2004, 8:53 AM
For a slight luster, you can coat it with varnish, lacquer or shellac, or a varnish/oil blend (Tried & True is mentioned here at SMC a lot, as are other varnish/oil blends). If it's too glossy for you at that point, use #0000 steel wool to dull down the finish. Or, use a dull lacquer if that is your choice. I've used Minwax Antique Finishing Oil before too (it's a blend).

Thanks Todd, I'll check out the options. I've tried to do a lot more reading on the subject since I started (better late than never) and find it's a matter of preference to the person doing the finishing. I think the Tried & True might be the way to go. Thanks again.