PDA

View Full Version : More ?'s for Sawstop Contractor Owners.

M. A. Espinoza
12-15-2008, 4:48 AM
I've finally started putting my Sawstop through its paces and have noticed some quirks. Wondering if anyone else has had these things come up and I noticed there are some other owners on the board.

Does your saw lock when beveled other than at 45? The handwheel locks but even when the wheel is locked there is some play due to gear lash that can't be adjusted out on my saw. So unless its against a stop the arbor will still move a hair, haven't put the dial on it but somewhere shy of 1/32". I know I can use a clamp on the arbor so when I need to do staves this may be the fix.

Also I've noticed that at 90 degrees blade parallelism to the miter slots changes depending on blade height, again haven't put the dial on it but its noticeable. Haven't checked when beveled but would expect the same.

I've been doing rough work putting my shop back together so I haven't gotten too involved with the parallelism issue but want to get it dialed in as I'll be doing careful work again soon.

I'll be in touch with Sawstop regarding the parallelism but wanted to know if this is something anyone else had checked on theirs.

Basically if you set the blade so its parallel to the miter slots for a 3/4" cut and then raise it for a 3" cut do you still have the same parallelism to the miter slots?

Lastly any odd noises when you drop the blade height? Like after a few rips and you unlock the height handwheel and spin it down to get the blade under the table. Not a grinding or scraping but the noise does seem to sound like its coming from the height adjusting threads. Been trying to track down some dry moly lube spray to use but so far no luck. Handwheels move smoothly and there is no feeling of any binding so I haven't been too concerned but it does seem odd for there to be any noise. Haven't noticed it when raising the blade.

Thanks for any insight.

Scott Myers
12-15-2008, 8:45 AM
On the noise when lowering; I have a cabinet version, but I too had this weird mechanical popping noise that alarmed me at first. Mine happened more on the lowering of the bevel angle, but it happened on both bevel and height. It didn't happen when raising either. Then I took a really close look inside and had a friend lower things as I watched. I found it was the ribs on the internal dust collection hose hitting against itself and the internal workings. It would stretch as it caught, and when it finally slipped off, it would create this almost metallic pop sound. I juse loosened it at one end and changed the twist on it slightly so it wouldn't catch any more. Don't know if that is what you are experiencing or not, but it happened to me.

I'm no help on the rest of your issues. Mine has been spot on, but I would expect the trunnion assemble on the cabinet version is completely different than the contractor version.