PDA

View Full Version : Well rats... My HF lathe gave up the ghost tonight...

Joshua Dinerstein
12-15-2008, 12:43 AM
I was working on the baby rattle for me 9 day old niece and my old green HF lathe died. Making it high time to get the mustard monster setup. I keep waiting just 1 more week, as we were trying to sell the house and look what it got me. Makes it hard to finish Christmas presents without a lathe. *sigh*

Either the power switch died or the motor did. But there is clearly power going in but nothing happens anymore. Sigh... What's a disappointed turner to do? Hummm.... what's on TV tonight... :(

Joshua

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2008, 7:34 AM
Joshua - sorry to hear about your lathe problems but a lot of folks get sawdust in the power switch and everything comes to a halt! If you have a compressor - try blowing it out or else, try a shop-vac! Best of luck! Hate to hear of anyone not being able to turn!

Jim Becker
12-15-2008, 7:56 AM
Bummer, but I also recommend you try blowing things out with compressed air as a first step in troubleshooting. The second is to take a meter and try to trace the power. Test both sides of the switch so you can see if the power is flowing toward the motor. That will help you determine if the switch is bad or if the issue is in the motor.

Rick Gibson
12-15-2008, 8:56 AM
If it's the standard little red toggle switch we so on so many of these tools they fill up with dust. They do come apart fairly easily so take it apart and clean it. Just make sure you disconnect it from the power first.

Joshua Dinerstein
12-15-2008, 4:50 PM
I actually just got off the phone with the guys at HF's tech support. From them my only option is to take it into the store. But I did talk to someone who told me I could disassemble the switch assembly without negating my ability to get a replacement should that not be the problem. So I will try that when I get home tonight rather than carting my 150 lbs lathe around.

Especially since the 2 local stores don't have one and I would have to drive an hour away.

Joshua

curtis rosche
12-15-2008, 5:56 PM
find a friend, put a wheel on the outboard side, tell them to turn quickly, while you make light cuts. or rig a drill to turn the lathe.

robert hainstock
12-15-2008, 8:56 PM
Is the motor not running, or is the belt broken? You can get new belts from HF reasonable. :eek::eek::eek:
Bob

Joshua Dinerstein
12-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Well I spent about 30 minutes in the shop tonight. Turns out that, as suggested, the switch had filled with sawdust. There is a little rubber seal in there that has just given up the ghost. I took it apart and cleaned it up and cleaned the contacts etc... It works again. The old green beast lives. But I can't help but wonder how long it will be before it happens again. What I really need is replace the switch. Anyone got a source for that type of switch?

Thanks,
Joshua

Joshua Dinerstein
12-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Is the motor not running, or is the belt broken? You can get new belts from HF reasonable. :eek::eek::eek:
Bob
The belt is fine. It is just the switch. HF seems to use that same switch for darn near everything. So I am hoping they sell it as a repair part and I can get a replacement.

Joshua

Rick Gibson
12-16-2008, 9:20 AM
I wouldn't bother, I did mine a couple years ago my belt sander and it is still working. Annual maintenance take the switch apart clean it and put it back together. Now if it was coming on when it should be off that would be different.

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2008, 9:37 AM
Joshua glad to hear it is going again. I had that happen to the switch on my delta belt/disc sander. Cleaned it and it was good to go. Been over a year now.

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2008, 9:49 AM
Joshua - I wouldn't go through the trouble of replacing the switch as dust is a common problem for everyone. Just remember to vacuum it or blow it out on a regular basis and you'll be fine. Glad to hear that was all there was to the problem and you are back up and running!

Allen Neighbors
12-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Joshua, you might try sealing it with some black tape, or something similar. I don't know where it is positioned, but if you fix an awning of sorts over it, it might help keep some of the dust out.

Jim Underwood
12-16-2008, 4:26 PM
I had the same problem with the switch on my drill press. I noticed that it was the same one as on my old HF lathe (which is broken for other reasons- lousy Reeves drive pulley broken), so I scavenged it off of there and it's still going. My Jet Lathe did the same exact thing. Not very impressed with these switches....:rolleyes: But I have had some high dollar ones fill up with sawdust also. So... big deal. Clean it out and keep going. :cool:

Jim Kountz
12-16-2008, 6:05 PM
You need to replace the switch with a 3520B! LOL