PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to all those who helped with making a tool handle.

Joshua Dinerstein
12-15-2008, 12:39 AM
So I took all of the advice I had gotten on how to repair my skew chisel and yesterday I made a new one. We had a massive snow storm here in Northern Utah which made it a great day to play in the woodshop. ;)

This one is once again made from a dry 2x2x13 Black Walnut spindle.

I found the keys, at least for me where:
1- Drill the hole for the tool first.

2- Drill the hole using separate sized bits. One deeper that is smaller and one shallow that is large so it doesn't split out.

3- Use brad point drill bits. My goodness those are easier to use! (Lots of creative approaches using jacobs chuck, drill bits, tool rest and tail stock to get it to drill straight.)

4- Then round it down around that new line. Worked SOOO much better.

5- Use calipers to get the sizes to match what you are used too. So many online resources said "whatever feels comfortable to your hand..." Matching what I had had fairly closely worked a ton better for me.

6- I used a 3/4" length of copper water pipe. I used a scraper to relieve the inside edge so that it would hammer on without peeling back.

7- NEXT TIME: Given the above I would not use the calipers until I had done the above. It changed the dimensions noticably...

All in all it was a good exercise and is now something I feel comfortable doing when the need arises. Which is after all the point of doing all of this. Learning more and having fun making useful, OK and non-usefull, things as well.

So here are some shots of my now repaired and once again fabulous skew chisel. The hole is centered in the handle, the steel is centered in the hole, it is extremely tight with no play/looseness, and it is sharpened up and ready to roll!

Thanks again Guys for the help and suggestions!
Joshua

P.s. that isn't a stain on the counter behind the tool. That is the pile of wheat kernels I was putting into a baby rattle I am making for my new niece. She is too young to use it yet but still I wanted to make one...

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2008, 9:15 AM
That is a good looking handle Joshua and well done.

robert hainstock
12-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Nice job. Looks like my last handle. :):)
Bob

Kim Ford
12-15-2008, 1:11 PM
Good Job!!

Don Carter
12-15-2008, 7:14 PM
Joshua:
Now that's what I'm talking about! Looks great. I think you've got it.
All the best.

Don