PDA

View Full Version : Bosch laminate trimmer with Leigh D4r???

Todd Pretty
12-15-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm in the process of deciding on a system for cutting a kitchen full of dovetail drawers. It will be my first set of dovetails (but hopefully not my last), so I'm in the process of deciding on the best jig for my money and other needs. I'm currently deciding between the Leigh D4r and the Jointech fence system.

If I decide on the Leigh, I'd like to use two dedicated routers, each setup with a different bit. I have a Bosch 1617 kit that has met my needs very well to-date, and had plans on purchasing the Bosch laminate trimmer. I'm wondering if I could use the laminate trimmer with a straight cut bit for part of the operation, or should I invest in a second Bosch 1617 kit?

I have very limited storage space, so I'd like to limit unnecessary duplication, if I can.

Thanks.

Bill Huber
12-15-2008, 1:19 AM
I used my Colt to cut a bunch of box joints on my PC dovetail jig and it did fine. I would say you can not hog it but it did just fine. this was in softwood not hardwood.

I think though if you are going to do a lot if them I would go with the bigger router.

pat warner
12-15-2008, 10:11 AM
PR-20: Under rated for dovetail work; would not use it.
A 1617 is far more qualified.

Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)

Dave Verstraete
12-15-2008, 4:24 PM
Todd
+1 on the 1617. See if you can find a reconditioned setup. I recently purchased a 1617EVSPK (2 1/4 hp, plunge base and standard base, variable speed) reconditioned set. It cost 179.00 + tax.

Charles Lent
12-17-2008, 11:15 AM
You can use the Leigh D4R with only one router. You just have to plan ahead and do all of the like halves of the joints for the whole project at the same time. I know that it's easier to get your initial setup right if you have two routers, but learning to batch your work will make you a better woodworker, as only one setup will be required for each like cut. Through dovetails are easy with the D4R, half blind take a bit more effort to get right. I wouldn't use a laminate trimmer with the D4R and I wouldn't use 1/4" router bits with it either. Both will compromise your joint quality. The D4R will make perfect joints, if you give it a chance by using the proper router and bits.

Charley

Paul Joynes
12-17-2008, 5:08 PM
You already have two bases, it may be cheaper to only buy a motor and slip one into each of the bases. Much easier to store the second motor than the suitcase that Bosch gives you with the 1617 kit.

I have two 1617 kits and am forever walking around the bloody suitcases that came with them. At the time I thought the cases were a selling feature but I now have the various router bases attached to router tables, Leigh FMT, etc. and the cases sit in the corner empty.