PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Annual Central States Bbq announcement...

Terry Hatfield
06-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Well, it’s time once again to start thinking about the 3rd Annual Central States Bbq. Yeeeee Hawwwwwww!!! It will be September 17th, 18th and 19th at our home/shop in Springdale, AR . As usual Friday will be a very informal meet and greet at our home/shop in Springdale, AR with hamburgers and hotdogs for supper. Saturday will no doubt begin with the traditional breakfast at Susan’s rest. here in town with the remainder of the day filled with good food, good fun, prizes and demo’s etc…for as long as we can stand it. Cheryl and I will be doing our usual way too much brisket for Saturday lunch/supper. Sunday will be more of the same for a late as anyone wants to hang around.

The Razorbacks are playing in Little Rock that weekend so hopefully we will have no trouble at all with having plenty or rooms for those who need them.

Please email me or respond here if you are planning to attend so I can start building the list. I’ll be updating as we go both in the forums and on my website.

Thanks a bunch and see you all in September!!!

Terry and the other Arkies

Scott Coffelt
06-14-2004, 2:35 PM
I am planning on coming this year, unless something out of my control comes up between now and then.

Waymon Campbell
06-14-2004, 8:58 PM
Terry - LOML and I plan to attend. After all, she's from Bald Knob, AR, so she'll be coming home. Can't wait to see the Taj Mahal (aka your gleaming shop).

Terry Hatfield
06-14-2004, 9:00 PM
Scott and Waymon,

Thanks!!!! Look forward to seeing you folks!!!!

Terry

Dennis Peacock
06-14-2004, 9:07 PM
You <B>KNOW</B> I'll be there.!!!! Do we want to demo the Tormek this year so I can sharpen all your chisels? :rolleyes: :D :p

I should be there on Friday around lunch time.

Chris Padilla
06-14-2004, 9:12 PM
Sounds nice, Terry. I doubt I'll get there unless you can find me a cheapie plane ticket to where, Tulsa? :)

Dennis Peacock
06-14-2004, 9:21 PM
Sounds nice, Terry. I doubt I'll get there unless you can find me a cheapie plane ticket to where, Tulsa? :)

Chris,

Believe it or not....there is an airport within 5 miles or so of Terry's house. So there, I found you an airport a LOT closer than OKC.....now....you comin'? :D

Greg Heppeard
06-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Chris,
C'mon down to Tulsa and we can talk Bob Lasley into giving us a ride, maybe. :D

Terry Hatfield
06-14-2004, 10:35 PM
d,

Well DUH!!!! Of course you are going to demo the Tormek. All my stuff is dull. :D

t

Terry Hatfield
06-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Chris,

Seriously....we have our very own regional airport about 20 miles north of here in Highfill, AR. It's XNA Regional. You should be able to fly in there for cheap. We'd be glad to come and pick you up and get you back when we are done with ya....er...I mean when the party is over. :D

Terry

Terry Hatfield
06-14-2004, 10:40 PM
greg,

I bet Bob would be glad to give anyone in the Tulsa area a ride. I'm volunteering him whether he is or not. :D

Terry

Jack Diemer
06-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Count me in, Somebody has to show Scott the way down there.

I am guessing that Scott and I will be doing Grizzly on Friday.

Dennis Peacock
06-14-2004, 11:24 PM
d,

Well DUH!!!! Of course you are going to demo the Tormek. All my stuff is dull. :D

t

OK...line me up for a Tormek Demo....break out your dull chisels and I'll sharpen them up for ya....until the NEXT bbq.!!! :D

Terry Hatfield
06-15-2004, 8:41 AM
d,

I knew I could count on you. :)

I'm getting quite a few emails already. Looks like it's gonna be a big time around these parts in Sept.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

t

Billy Reynolds
06-15-2004, 8:54 AM
:) Count me in, if nothing happens I'll be there. I'll check with Dennis to make sure it ok to go north of Interstate 40. :D :D

Terry Hatfield
06-15-2004, 8:57 AM
Billy,

GREAT!!! It's OK to venture up North. :D It has not seemed to effect Dennis too much. :D

Looking forward to meeting you.

t

Steve Clardy
06-15-2004, 9:29 AM
Put me down for two Terry. I'm planning on sneaking across the border with the wife again this year.:D
Look out Peacock, I may bring enough tools to sharpen to keep you occupied for a while. :)
Steve

Terry Hatfield
06-15-2004, 9:45 AM
Steve,

Well alright!!!! I knew we could count on you guy's. See you in Sept.

t

Scott Coffelt
06-15-2004, 10:12 AM
You <B>KNOW</B> I'll be there.!!!! Do we want to demo the Tormek this year so I can sharpen all your chisels? :rolleyes: :D :p

I should be there on Friday around lunch time.

I'll make sure they are nice and dull for you :D .

Chris Padilla
06-15-2004, 3:06 PM
Chris,

Seriously....we have our very own regional airport about 20 miles north of here in Highfill, AR. It's XNA Regional. You should be able to fly in there for cheap. We'd be glad to come and pick you up and get you back when we are done with ya....er...I mean when the party is over. :D

Terry
Well, for starters there are no direct flights from either San Jose or San Francisco to either Fayetteville, Tulsa, or even Little Rock (which looks too far anyway). Everything goes through Dallas/Ft. Worth.

SFO to Tulsa is $369
SJC to Tulsa is $336

SFO to Fayetteville is $446
SJC To Fayetteville is $396

Hmmm.....

Ken Salisbury
06-15-2004, 4:10 PM
Well, for starters there are no direct flights from either San Jose or San Francisco to either Fayetteville, Tulsa, or even Little Rock (which looks too far anyway). Everything goes through Dallas/Ft. Worth.

SFO to Tulsa is $369
SJC to Tulsa is $336

SFO to Fayetteville is $446
SJC To Fayetteville is $396

Hmmm.....If you come I will pick you up at the airport, deliver you where ever you want, buy you breakfast on Saturday and return you to the airport when festivities are over. :D :D :)

Chris Padilla
06-15-2004, 5:22 PM
If you come I will pick you up at the airport, deliver you where ever you want, buy you breakfast on Saturday and return you to the airport when festivities are over. :D :D :)Ah, Ken, do I hear you all right? You want to be my chaffeur/chaparone? :D ;) Wait, you're gonna make me drive, too, eh? :) Not a problem! ;)

Thank you very much, Ken! It appears that Memphis/Nashville?/Little Rock might be good spots not horribly out of your way but all the flight times despite some non-stops from San Francisco to Memphis are yucky. I arrive really late on Friday and leave really early Sunday morning.

This give me an idea: Who all lives near a major airport or will be driving by one that might not mind picking my arse up and then taking my arse back?

If anyone is near Dallas/Ft. Worth, I can get flights easily all day and for a good price since this is a major hub.

I'm trying to work this...thanks for all your help!

Scott Coffelt
06-15-2004, 5:47 PM
Jack Diemer and I are plannign on heading down on Friday and visiting Grizzley on the way, so you kind of kill two birds with the one big a$$ rock. Last I saw, I think there are some direct flights to KC. Not sure if you save mush on a price or not though. Besides, you can have some real good BBQ before the picnic.

Chris Padilla
06-15-2004, 6:03 PM
Jack Diemer and I are plannign on heading down on Friday and visiting Grizzley on the way, so you kind of kill two birds with the one big a$$ rock. Last I saw, I think there are some direct flights to KC. Not sure if you save mush on a price or not though. Besides, you can have some real good BBQ before the picnic.
Scott,

What is your itinerary looking like? When ya leaving KC and when ya coming back? I see some SWIMSUIT MODEL attractive prices for flights to KC! :D

Dennis Peacock
06-15-2004, 11:02 PM
:) Count me in, if nothing happens I'll be there. I'll check with Dennis to make sure it ok to go north of Interstate 40. :D :D

You can ride with me if you want to hang out from Friday until sunday afternoon.!!! :eek: :D

Dennis Peacock
06-15-2004, 11:05 PM
Billy,

GREAT!!! It's OK to venture up North. :D It has not seemed to effect Dennis too much. :D

Looking forward to meeting you.

t

That's a matter of opinion..!!!! Once you do it, you can't seem to STOP doing it....Pretty soon, you know you way to Terry's place better than your own home.!!! :eek: :cool:

Dennis Peacock
06-15-2004, 11:06 PM
I'll make sure they are nice and dull for you :D .

I knew I could count on you Scott.!!! You're a real bud.....

Dennis Peacock
06-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Put me down for two Terry. I'm planning on sneaking across the border with the wife again this year.:D
Look out Peacock, I may bring enough tools to sharpen to keep you occupied for a while. :)
Steve

<B>Easy there Steve..</B> I need some yapin' time and tinkerin' time just like everyone else, but if you brang sumpin'....I'll sharpen it up fer ya....but it'll cost you a piece or two of walnut or maple.!! :eek: :D

Scott Coffelt
06-16-2004, 10:28 AM
The plan is to leave in the morning and head to Springfield to check out Grizzley, never been there and its sort of on the way, then head into Arkansas for the night. Do the breakfest thing and pretty much most of the day at the BBQ (leave about 6PM or so). Jack does have to get back to KC that night, so we would have to miss out on anything that might happen on Sunday. Your more than welcome to stay in our guest room on Saturday night. Any idea of when the flights are arriving?

Shawn Battagler
06-16-2004, 10:51 AM
What time do you think you will be in Springfield on Friday? I'd sure be happy to play host and tour guide for this leg of your trip. And if you get down here early enough, we can swing by Ballew Saw and Tool also. I only request a modest fee of Gates Brothers ribs (I'll pay for 'em. I just want you to bring them down here).

Unfortunately, I can't make the trip down to Arkansas due to my wife's ill-timed work retreat in Branson that weekend. But I'd sure be interested in meeting up with you guys when you're here. Jack could even come by the house and visit his old Delta miter saw.

Steve Clardy
06-16-2004, 11:06 AM
<B>Easy there Steve..</B> I need some yapin' time and tinkerin' time just like everyone else, but if you brang sumpin'....I'll sharpen it up fer ya....but it'll cost you a piece or two of walnut or maple.!! :eek: :D
Yea, I'll go easy on ya. I'll only bring 1-20 lathe tools. Lol'
I'll also bring some walnut chunks also. Rose wants some too.
See ya there.
Steve

Scott Coffelt
06-16-2004, 11:11 AM
Shawn, obviosuly everything is still in motion, but I am sure we could address the Gates ribs situation. Obviously September is still aways away, them ribs might just all get eatin' before then..... ;) or may not make the long drive :D .

Ken Salisbury
06-16-2004, 11:18 AM
TEXICANS:

BRING MESQUITE !!! TO BARTER :)

I NEED SOME FOR BOTH PENS AND BOWLS :D

Zahid Naqvi
06-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Terry, I plan to spend some time there I am not sure how much though. Chances are I will drive up to Springdale Sat morning and return late night.

Well, for starters there are no direct flights from either San Jose or San Francisco to either Fayetteville, Tulsa, or even Little Rock (which looks too far anyway). Everything goes through Dallas/Ft. Worth

Chris, I live in Little Rock so if you end up getting a flight to LR I can pick you up and deliver to Spring Dale, and do the reverse for your return journey. As a side note have you tried SouthWest Air? they have a bunch of flights come to LR from Arizona and California.

Chris Padilla
06-16-2004, 1:00 PM
Zahid,

Thanks! You guys are top-notch...I really appreciate the help. I can get non-stop flights to Little Rock from San Jose so that is attractive. I can get them to Tulsa as well but no Fayetteville. :(

It seems SW has all their tickets at $359 no matter what airport I fly into. It appears that you can play some tricks with one-way fares, however. Anyone dink around with that to save a few bucks?

So far, if Scott and Jack can help me out, flying into Kansas City (through Denver) is the cheapest at $228.

Jack Diemer
06-16-2004, 1:32 PM
Shawn, I would tell you that I miss my old Delta 10 inch miter saw, but I'd be lying. LOVE! the 12 inch Ridgid.

Gates ribs are very good, but Jack Stack's ribs are even better.
www.fiorellas.com

Terry Hatfield
06-16-2004, 2:55 PM
Yo Jack,

Speaking of Fiorella's......I need more sauce!!!!!! :)

t

Jack Diemer
06-16-2004, 3:01 PM
They must not sell fiorellas sauce in the grocery stores in Arkansas. Its like Catsup here in Kansas City. We can probably manage enough room to bring you down some.

Donnie Raines
06-16-2004, 3:15 PM
You no..I started thinking about this. Could you guys make sure that the wind is realllllllly wipping around that day. My thinking is this: With me being east of you I could, by chance, catch a whiff of this BBQ you guys/girls are having when the weather makes its way..my way.

This sounds like a great time...I hope everyone has a great time! ;)

Shawn Battagler
06-16-2004, 3:51 PM
Jack, I hate to disagree, but Gates wins hands down. In fairness, I should give fiorella's another chance. The first time I ate there, at the one near you (trying to impress a client no less) we got tough, chewy ribs. Gates has never disappointed me. But I may soon have a new favorite. Word is there's a little place from the Bootheel opening soon near here. I've had their seasoning, and it is the best rub I've ever had. They are actively marketing it - look for Strawberry's brand seasoning, you won't be sorry.

Scott Coffelt
06-16-2004, 4:53 PM
Chris, What's the arrival time into KC if you go that route? I assume your coming in on Friday, it's about 3 hours to Springfield so we want to get there before they close you know. If its later, is there a chance of coming in on Thursday to maximize the trip? Just curious. I know it sucks coming West to East as you lose hours in the day.

Scott Coffelt
06-16-2004, 4:58 PM
Chris, I looked at SWA flight schedule and noticed that the earliest arrival is around 3PM, would be willing to come in on Thursday? I would be happy to pick you up at the airport if you would like and return you on Sunday.

I do really want to head to Grizzly and if you fly in on Friday it would make the not possible, I don't get down that way much so would like maximize the trip so to speak. Thanks.

David Rose
06-16-2004, 5:02 PM
Terry, is it OK if I come? I promise to not chisel your bench this time. No other promises other than eating your food. :D It is a looong drive from down here. It is neat to see guys planning to come from so many foreign "countries". ;) It will be a great time, as usual.

Has anyone heard from Bobby H. lately?

David

Chris Padilla
06-16-2004, 5:29 PM
Scott,

It appears that 1:05 pm is about the soonest I can arrive in Kansas City on Friday. That doesn't sound like it gives you much time to get to Grizzly in Springfield...what time do they close, 5 pm?

Terry Quiram
06-16-2004, 5:37 PM
Terry

I am trying to convince Connie that we need to attend again this year. If I make it I will be sure to bring a couple of jars of that "Cowboy candy" for Friday night burgers. Hey Dennis do I need to bring the scroll saw again this year?

Terry

Terry Hatfield
06-16-2004, 5:38 PM
Terry,

Convince Connie?????????????? Come on dude!!!! We're counting on y'all AND the scroll saw!!!

t

Terry Hatfield
06-16-2004, 5:41 PM
David,

Well...I guess you can come....BUT no fake knife or saw or anything sticking out of the bench..OK??? :D

t

Terry Hatfield
06-16-2004, 5:43 PM
Zahid,

Cool!!!! I look forward to meeting you!!

t

Terry Hatfield
06-16-2004, 5:44 PM
Yo Ken,

You ain't gonna believe this but I broke the thinking chair!!!!! NOT TO WORRY!!! I will have some kind of fix on it or a suitable replacement for your lounging pleasure before the Bbq.

t

Chris Padilla
06-16-2004, 6:04 PM
Chris, I looked at SWA flight schedule and noticed that the earliest arrival is around 3PM, would be willing to come in on Thursday? I would be happy to pick you up at the airport if you would like and return you on Sunday.

I do really want to head to Grizzly and if you fly in on Friday it would make the not possible, I don't get down that way much so would like maximize the trip so to speak. Thanks.
I think I can arrange a late Thursday arrival...like 11 pm! :eek: Can I sleep under your workbench in your shop??? :p Does arriving at 1 pm Friday help any?

David Rose
06-16-2004, 6:56 PM
OK, nothing stuck in the bench. ;)

David

David,

Well...I guess you can come....BUT no fake knife or saw or anything sticking out of the bench..OK??? :D

t

Scott Coffelt
06-16-2004, 9:49 PM
Chris, the airport is on the North side of KC about 45 minutes from my house, I do not know when Grizzly closes. So someone in that area maybe can help answer that question. If they close at 5 or even 6 I am not sure we could make it. Best case we could get out of KC by 2:15 to 2:30 and if it closes at 5, no way. I have no problems with picking you up at 11PM Thursday, that way we could spend more time enjoying the store. We have a nice Full size bed you are welcome to rest in, so you wouldn't have to sleep on the bench though that is always tempting when SWMBO is not happy with me. :D

Shawn Battagler
06-17-2004, 8:33 AM
Grizzly closes at 6:00. Ballew closes at 5:00. Get here by lunch time. Eat downtown - Ballew is close by. Over to Grizzly by 2:30 and you are right near the highway you need to go southwest.

Chris Padilla
06-17-2004, 10:41 AM
Chris, the airport is on the North side of KC about 45 minutes from my house, I do not know when Grizzly closes. So someone in that area maybe can help answer that question. If they close at 5 or even 6 I am not sure we could make it. Best case we could get out of KC by 2:15 to 2:30 and if it closes at 5, no way. I have no problems with picking you up at 11PM Thursday, that way we could spend more time enjoying the store. We have a nice Full size bed you are welcome to rest in, so you wouldn't have to sleep on the bench though that is always tempting when SWMBO is not happy with me. :D
Scott,

Let me work on a late evening show on Thursday into KC as well as an evening departure on the Sunday (~6 pm work?) to head back to SJ.

Thanks so much for helping me out...this should be cool!

Terry, since I'll likely be the one travelling the furthest, any chance I can grab some floor at your place for the cheap rate?? :D

Scott Coffelt
06-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Works for me, we'll be back by late Saturday night so if you are anxious to get back that way you'll have the whole day on Sunday to decide, but 6PM works fine for me. More than happy to have you as a guest. A tour of my shop will take about 5 minutes :D as it is 324sqft. I might have to move something out to get two of us int here :p .

Chris Padilla
06-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Okay, maybe I'll shoot for a Sunday late morning/early afternoon departure. Sweet! :D

Chris Padilla
06-17-2004, 8:44 PM
Scott,

Here is what I plan:

Arrive in KC at 11 PM on Thursday night.

Leave KC at 1 PM on Sunday afternoon.

Does this work for you...please let me know ASAP so I can book the flight.

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing what you REALLY look like! hahahahahaha :p :D ;)

Larry Browning
06-17-2004, 9:02 PM
Terry,
I hope to attend and meet many of my fellow creekers. I think this is the same weekend as my companies big softball tournament that I have always played in for the last 17 years. But I told everyone that last year was it for me, so this is the perfect excuse to get me out of going at all.

Larry

Scott Coffelt
06-18-2004, 10:41 AM
I'll let the SWMBO know we'll be having company. I am looking forward to it.

Chris Padilla
06-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Scott,

I'll PM or email you the itinerary. Thanks!!! :D

Terry Hatfield
06-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Scott and Chris,

Good job gentlemen!!!! This is what a woodworking "community" is all about...helping each other. My hat is off to you guy's!!!

Larry,

We are gonna have so much fun and food at the Bbq that the softball game will be but a distant memory.... :D

t

Chris Padilla
06-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Terry,

Is there any floor/barn/shop space available at Case de Hatfield-a??! I think the guy (idiot) travelling furthest is entitled to the cheapest accomodations, no?! :D :D :D

Terry Hatfield
06-21-2004, 9:19 PM
Chris,

Sure there is. We ain't got a bunch of beds, but we got couches and alot of floor and blankets that you are more than welcome to. If you don't mind rooming with Peacock. :D

t

Jim Becker
06-21-2004, 9:37 PM
Chris, if you can talk Terry into temporarily removing the overarm blade guard and splitter from the TS, you could bed down on the Griz! :D

Terry Hatfield
06-21-2004, 9:39 PM
Jim,

Hmmm......better pull the breaker on that one. :D

t

Chris Padilla
06-21-2004, 9:40 PM
Mmmm, the Griz...it'll be just like home for me! :D I can just crank the blade down...no problemo! :D

Thanks, Terry...I don't take up much room...unless you feed me alot! :eek:

Dennis Peacock
06-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Chris,

Sure there is. We ain't got a bunch of beds, but we got couches and alot of floor and blankets that you are more than welcome to. If you don't mind rooming with Peacock. :D

t

Hey, Hey, Hey!!!!!

No giving my couch space up.!!! :rolleyes:

Well, OK...if it's for Chris...then he can sleep in my spot. I'll take the "other" couch or maybe just sleep in the shop on top of your bench! :eek:

I think LOML and the kids will be coming with me this year. The kids want to Ice Skate and stuff like that while there. Will it be cold enough then to ice skate in your back yard? :p ;)

Dennis Peacock
06-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Chris, if you can talk Terry into temporarily removing the overarm blade guard and splitter from the TS, you could bed down on the Griz! :D

Jim,

I don't think Chris would like sleeping on that sliding table of Terry's. He's liable to slip off the end and turn the saw on or something!! :D

Terry Hatfield
06-22-2004, 8:44 AM
d,

I don't think it will be quite cold enough to ice skate in the back yard.....well...I sure hope it isn't!!!! The rink at the Jones Center is always frozen. They better plan on going there to ice skate.

t

Terry Hatfield
06-22-2004, 8:45 AM
Chris,

We are pretty well known for eating around here. You are almost guaranteed to take up more room than normal. :D Not to worry, we'll fit you in with no problem.

t

Bob Lasley
06-22-2004, 1:56 PM
You bet your bippy I'll be there!!

If anyone needs a ride over from Tulsa, just let me know.

Bob