PDA

View Full Version : School of fish

David Walser
12-14-2008, 11:11 PM
At the San Jacinto Turning Fest, I received a free pen blank from Kallenshaan Woods. This turned out to be a very expensive free gift! The blank is for a Sierra pen -- a model I've never turned before. So, as long as I'm buying the bushings and kit for the free pen blank, I probably ought to order a few more kits (so I don't waste the bushings!), right? I thought so, too. I bought 10 pen kits.

The pen blank from Kallenshaan Woods is called "Scool of Fish". The pen kit is from Berea Hardwoods and is their Sierra Elegant Beauty Black Titanium and Titanium Gold model. The pens going to my brother-in-law. He's and avid fisherman. The glasses are mine. They're from Walmart.

http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/Page?template=Sierra%20Budget%20Inlay%20Pen%20kits

http://bereahardwoods.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BW&Product_Code=Sierra_Elegant_Beauty&Category_Code=pk-sierra

Dewey Torres
12-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Very interesting. Wonder how they made those blanks...hmmm

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2008, 7:37 AM
David - very different pen! Nice job! I'm sure your BIL will love it!

Jim Becker
12-15-2008, 7:54 AM
Now, that's very kewel!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2008, 9:13 AM
Cool pen. He is going to love it.

Keith Burns
12-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Wonderful pen for sure. I really like the glasses too:D

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Beautiful Pen David. A most excellent gift. BTW, how did you turn those glasses in the background...inquiring minds wanna know. ;)

David Walser
12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the words of encouragement.

For those who commented on the glasses in the photo. As mentioned in the original post, the glasses were made from a kit from Walmart. The turning process is too elaborate for me to fully describe here -- it requires a rose engine lathe and one of those new oval cutting chucks from Vicmark. I'm working on a tutorial, but it won't be ready for a while. Be sure to check back around the beginning of April (the very beginning). If I get the tutorial done, that's when I'd post it. ;)