PDA

View Full Version : tool shed party

John Oothoudt
12-14-2008, 8:50 PM
does anyone do tool parties...ie: Delta etc. like Tupperware...

Jim Becker
12-14-2008, 10:11 PM
I did something like that with Festool a couple years ago. Being in a rural area, it was great that a bunch of folks got actual hands-on demonstrations, especially since there was little or no exposure in the retail stores at that point. But outside of the tools, it was a really good time for folks to socialize.

Heather Thompson
12-14-2008, 10:45 PM
John,

Here in northern Illinois there is a place called The Hardwood Conection in Sycamore, they have an annual open house. This year was their 29th event, they had Warren Dragon from WMH Tool Group (Jet/Powermatic), Craig Wallace was there to demostrate the SawStop, Freud had George Malley with the demo truck. Dick Sing is usually there doing that spinning stuff, hand tool domos, chain saw carvers, they have a small gallery that local artists display in. Oh yeah, they also have some incredible wood, go figure, The Hardwood Connection.

Heather :D

PS It is a good time and lots of nice folks.

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2008, 9:39 AM
Shoot, we don't even have woodworking shows in Arkansas any more. Not enough people to show up to make the vendors want to come. Now the closest WW show is in St. Louis, MO. I guess we could start having tool parties around here, but then....who would show up? ;)

Don Bullock
12-15-2008, 11:17 AM
John, that's a great idea. Perhaps you could do something like that through a local woodworker's association or perhaps a woodworking supply store. Your biggest problem other than getting the tools and demonstrators would be publicity. Getting to word out about your event could be rather difficult unless you have a source of names and addresses for woodworkers in your area.

Joe Petersen
12-15-2008, 9:58 PM
Closest thing I have done to that is me and my buddies drinking in the garage. Playing shuffleboard with the crushed cans is fun.

Lee Schierer
12-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Okay, Home parties for woodworking like Tupperware or Avon...

First the sales person shows up with his breadtruck full of tools. Is it okay if he sits up the 21" planer in front of the TV. You won't mind a few shavings on the floor and oh, where can he plug in for 220?

He'll put the table saw over by the couch and all the orbital sanders can sit on the coffee table. They can try the jig saws over by the end tables. I'll put some practice pieces right next to them.

We can test the new line of wood stains on the dining room table.

That will be followed by a bunch of guys in plaid shirts and jeans sitting around in your living room leafing through catalogs and eating snacks.

What I want to know is how you will get your house partner to agree to this...:D

Dave Anderson NH
12-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Aw come on Lee, it's easy. Send her off to the jewelry store with your credit card.:D

Rod Sheridan
12-18-2008, 1:00 PM
does anyone do tool parties...ie: Delta etc. like Tupperware...

Felder in Toronto do them, at their showroom. (Apparently the CF741 is hard to setup in a livingroom.) They even provide coffee and doughnuts.

I would guess that if you contacted a local supplier they would set up an evening for a group of interested people.

Regards, Rod

Randal Stevenson
12-18-2008, 4:33 PM
The closest thing that I have seen is a "groom shower" or that is what I have heard it called. Normally some guy getting married, and all his buddies getting him new tools.

Not quite the same thing as a demonstration, which I would like that and hands on trials, but you don't see things like that so much anymore. Too many people all worried about lawsuits and such, and how do you enforce safety restrictions (everyone bring safety glasses, hearing protection, etc) and make sure that you don't pick up bad habits as well as good. (Little Joe over in the corner, "well this has worked for me")

Vendors do make things happen occasionally, but they take so much time and planning, they are more rare.