PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer Retarder

Don L Johnson
12-14-2008, 6:59 PM
I've used lacquer in the past and cut with lacquer thinner. When I picked up some lacquer at the paint store the other day, they recommended I use a retarder with the lacquer to help the finish even out a little better since it slows the cure time. I bit, and bought a gallon. My question is, what kind of ratio should I used in mixing in the retarder with the lacquer. The lacquer I have says it is already set up for spraying and doesn't need any cutting. Thanks,

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2008, 9:56 AM
The lacquer retarder is something you use "sparingly". It doesn't take much to do a decent job on retarding the dry time. I usually mix in about 2 ounces into a quart mix and spray. Retarding lacquer does help it to "lay down" better in my experiences, but a gallon of retarder will last you many years unless you do a LOT of finishing. ;)

There is even a technique in the furniture industry where they "flood finish" a furniture finish after a few coats of lacquer. It's more like 80% lacquer thinner and 20% lacquer and sprayed on. Supposed to help the onverall finish be more glossy on a high gloss finish. Never tried it though.

Michael Pyron
12-20-2008, 5:00 PM
2 oz per quart of product is pushing the limits IMHO. that amount will most likely greatly increase the curing time (which you must pay attention to between coats) and might cause other issues, like a very soft finish for over a month if you layer 10-15 coats of acrylic lacquer on a table top and retard every coat (don't ask me how I know this)...said statement is based upon the concept that a quart of product is lets say 20 oz of lacquer, 10 oz of thinner and 2 oz of retarder.

the PDS sheet for the retarder should give some information about what % of reduction is allowed, or it might be in the PDS sheet for the lacquer you are shooting. I know for Sherwin Williams products the specs are in the PDS for the lacquer (I just sprayed some today and used about 1 oz of retarder in a quart of product to deal with 69% humidity)

Steve Clardy
12-20-2008, 7:48 PM
I never use retarder unless its so hot its starts drying before it hits the surface

Phil Phelps
12-21-2008, 11:47 AM
..as you have read. A retarder is usually used to prevent "blushing", a clouding of lacquer as it dries under very humid conditions. Blushing isn't permanant as you can recoat and cure the problem. Lacquer thinner is not all the same, by far. You need to use a quality lacquer thinner and use a slow to hot thinner depending on the daily temperature. You also need to keep in perspective of what and what size of the project you are spraying. If it's 100 degrees in my shop and I'm spraying a small object, it really dosen't matter what thinner I'm using. If I'm spraying a 4'x8', I better have a slow thinner in the gun. Mix your lacquer with all thinners at 50/50 and strain through a nylon stocking.

Howard Acheson
12-21-2008, 2:31 PM
Lacquer retarder is typically used in times of high temperature and/or high humidity. It's normally not needed when spraying in normal environmental conditions. It's also used to make lacquer suitable for brushing.

If the sprayed lacquer not leveling properly you may not have your gun controls set up properly.