PDA

View Full Version : Design Process

Dave West
12-14-2008, 6:58 PM
For Christmas this year the theme for gifts is something handmade (or in my case by laser). My sister-in-law likes to sew so I wanted to make her a spool holder. To get the dimentions how I wanted, I designed it in Lightwave, a 3D modeling and animation package. I've been using Lightwave for over 16 years so it made sense that if I wanted to visualize a piece with multiple parts I should make it in 3D to check for fit.
It worked out like a charm. After design, I exported each part to Corel to make the tabs and slots ( I like Corel better for this phase). I cut out the parts and it dry-fit together perfectly. I'm sending the piece unassembled so she can put it together herself.
Pictures of the process are below. I didn't have a chance to take pics of the parts... they're packed already.

Dave

Steve Eide
12-14-2008, 7:00 PM
Very clever and a nice result. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Jerry Hay
12-14-2008, 7:06 PM
That rocks! Great work, I am humbled by your design skills.

Dave West
12-14-2008, 7:16 PM
Thanks, I got the idea from a similar one I saw on the web.

Dave

Stephen Beckham
12-14-2008, 7:46 PM
Hey Dave if I show you a picture of a BMW from the web, you think you could design one for me???? :D

Seriously - like the project - it's what makes this too much fun...

Kevin Baker
12-15-2008, 5:23 AM
Dave -

Great job!

Kevin

Lisa Walter
12-15-2008, 7:13 PM
For Christmas this year the theme for gifts is something handmade (or in my case by laser). My sister-in-law likes to sew so I wanted to make her a spool holder. To get the dimentions how I wanted, I designed it in Lightwave, a 3D modeling and animation package. I've been using Lightwave for over 16 years so it made sense that if I wanted to visualize a piece with multiple parts I should make it in 3D to check for fit.
It worked out like a charm. After design, I exported each part to Corel to make the tabs and slots ( I like Corel better for this phase). I cut out the parts and it dry-fit together perfectly. I'm sending the piece unassembled so she can put it together herself.
Pictures of the process are below. I didn't have a chance to take pics of the parts... they're packed already.

Dave

I love to sew......I need to make one of those for ME!!! :)

Lisa

Scott Erwin
12-15-2008, 8:22 PM
Dave,
That is awsome. I am sure you have already had several requests for the plans in Corel, so I will just ask here in the open forum. Would you like to post the Corel file for the final product ? I am sure Lisa will be right on it.
I have Corel 12 as I see others that have posted do too.

Also what did you use for the spool holder pins and what size were they?
What size wood did you use? I was thinking BB 1/8".

Dave West
12-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Sure, here it is in Ver 12. The wood used was 1/4" italian poplar ply. It's sold as lite ply in hobby shops. My thickness dimension was .233". The pins were 3/16 hardwood dowels.
The pin holes and tabs were sized for the beam kerf on my old machine... your mileage may vary, so do a few tests before you commit to the whole piece. It dry fits together nicely but not so tight as not to need glue. Take care with the pin holes. The dowel diameter was all over the place.
One thing that drives me a bit crazy is that the dowel holes are not along the exact centerline of the peg board. I noticed this after I cut them out and didn't have time to make new ones.

Dave

Scott Erwin
12-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Dave,
Thank You
I know others will enjoy this also...

PS-Thanks for the tips on the pins....