PDA

View Full Version : A bowl that puts food on the table?(pics)

John Shuk
06-13-2004, 8:58 PM
Well here goes. I have some pics of a bowl I made (my second one) out of box elder. The interesting part is that this bowl made me almost a thousand bucks in overtime. I work for the local Telephone company and when we got an out of hours callout for a fiber optic cable down I was all over it. (Phone guys live for callouts!) When I got out there I found that the fiber fed the State Trooper barracks and the job was REAL hot! When I saw that the cause of the failure was a large Box Elder branch I became real interested. Box Elder is pretty rare around here. I have some other blanks that I plan on adding to my "OT" series that have made me money but the Box Elder was the best score so far. Most was little punky so I just got this one piece but I am happy. The bowl is about 6 inches diameter and sanded to 350 grit. 2 coats of 1lb cut blonde dewaxed shellac as a sanding sealer and 3 coats Beheln's pure tung oil. As it was turned wet and finished quickly the bowl seems to be moving quite a bit. The movment so far fits in nicely with the character of the wood in my opinion. Hope you like it.
John

Ted Calver
06-13-2004, 9:54 PM
John,
Nice looking bowl. It's nice when life smacks you up side the head with something good once in a while!!

Chris Padilla
06-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Nice work, John. Ah, life's little opportunities...glad you could take advantage!