PDA

View Full Version : Who sells replacment tool switches of high quality?

Stephen Tashiro
12-14-2008, 3:05 PM
I've found online stores that sell replacement parts for tools (like ereplacementparts.com). But some hand tools have OEM switches that are flimsy. I don't want to buy another switch of the same kind. I would like to find a source for switches that I knew were of good quality. Anyone know of such a place?

Steve Rozmiarek
12-14-2008, 6:31 PM
For what tools? I'd imagine that drop in replacements for OEM hand tool switches are only offered by the manufacurer. Don't know that though, just a guess. Machines are a different matter though.

Lee Schierer
12-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I had the power switch on my 14" Delta Bandsaw break. Since my saw was purchased in Canada, it did not have parts available in the US. They had to be ordered from Canada. They wanted way too much for the repalcement switch which was identical to the one that broke. After a lengthy internet search I finally located a manufacutrer making the same switch and was able to get a replacement. However, this is not normal. Switch manufacturers make lots of OEM switches that are not available to the average consumer. Manufacturers make them so they fit into the hand tool and will sell only to that manufacturer.

Ray Newman
12-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Depending upon what you need, Grizzly sells replacements:

http://grizzlyindustrial.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=switches

Do a search for "switches" @:

Mc Master-Carr, Reid Supply, Woodcraft, Grainger

Also look in the Yellow Pages for electrical supply & machine shop supply houses & give them a call.

Larry Edgerton
12-15-2008, 12:57 PM
I'll second McMaster Carr and Grainger. I have recieved good service from both, and they have everything.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-15-2008, 9:34 PM
Usually the lever switches are made by Microswitch. W.W. Grainger handles them.

Bruce

Bob Rufener
12-15-2008, 9:53 PM
When my Jet contractor saw switch broke, I went to a local electrician who does a lot of commercial work. He fixed me up with a switch that worked very well.

Harry Niemann
12-16-2008, 8:35 PM
I have had success using plain old 20 amp toggle switches normally used for lights. Be sure to use 20 amp size not 15. I have had several of these in use for many years without problems.