PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking in Retirement

Jim Madaras
12-14-2008, 2:54 PM
I have recently retired and need a little extra cash that I would like to make doing woodworking so I can buy some new tools and continue to grow my workshop. Can you give me some suggestions on the best way to go about this.:)

Neal Clayton
12-14-2008, 3:24 PM
decide what tools you want from reading recommendations here, then check craigslist, ebay, and local auctions til you find them all ;).

Don Bullock
12-14-2008, 3:47 PM
Jim, you need to find out what the market is in your area for the types of things you can make. The market for woodworking products seems to vary by location and time. Attending craft fairs and flea markets in your area may give you a good indication of what sells and at what price.

Selling over the Internet either on through a website or on eBay is also possible. You might want to look at what seems to be selling on eBay and the prices people get for their work before you venture off in that direction. There are many Internet based woodworking businesses. Do a search for the types of things you wish to make and sell. You may be surprised at what you find.

Good luck and congratulations on your retirement.

David DeCristoforo
12-14-2008, 3:55 PM
If you are going to go into woodworking to make money, the first thing you need to do is to forget about being retired!

Shawn Christ
12-14-2008, 4:31 PM
Jim, I am by no means an expert but thought I'd add my two cents worth. I've done woodworking as a hobby for the last several years, and am just now beginning to work on jobs for customers other than family and friends.

If you're married, start there. Have a discussion with "the boss" to make sure she's on board with this and is comfortable with the money and TIME you will need to invest.

I found this thread useful: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94186. The third post contains a document written by Creeker Mark Roderick called "Getting Started in Woodworking". It has been very helpful, as it makes suggestions on buying tools and also material resources.

I would also suggest your local library (or Amazon.com if you prefer to buy). You'll find an UNBELIEVABLE amount of books on woodworking. I recently read and would recommend "Make Your Woodworking Pay for Itself (http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Woodworking-Pay-Itself/dp/1558704183/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229289378&sr=8-1)" by Jack Neff. I read the 1992 version, but I see that it was reprinted in 1996.

Thanks to the internet, you are no longer limited to selling your work at local craft fairs and retail shops. eBay is a good resource, but can be a bit intimidating if you've never used it, and larger items are of course difficult and expensive to ship. I would suggest a local classifieds website such as this (http://qconlineauction.com/), where you can post an ad for an item you've already built, or (like me) post an ad for your woodworking services and a rotating picture of items you've built.

Hope this helps. Good luck and happy woodworking!

Joe Mioux
12-14-2008, 5:53 PM
If you are going to run a small business, do it correctly.

Apply for all the state and federal licenses/etc.

Set up your shop separate from your home. That means separate utilities.

Make sure you have the proper business insurance, property, liability, work comp etc.

but before all that.... find out who your competition is and if there is a market for your product.

joe, just a small business owner who deals with stuff everyday.

Mike Henderson
12-14-2008, 6:14 PM
The best way to make a small fortune in woodworking is to start with a large fortune.

Seriously, unless you're very good or very lucky, the best way to make money in woodworking is to teach beginning woodworkers. It is very difficult to establish yourself in furniture making. There's more demand for cabinets (like kitchen cabinets) but that's specialized and you need a reputation there, also.

Mike

Doug Shepard
12-14-2008, 6:28 PM
My uncle is retired and keeps pretty busy in his shop. My aunt teaches painting in local craft classes where they paint various things on wooden blanks or small assembled projects and my uncle makes the wooden things to sell to the students. This is anything from small wall hanging plaques, 6 ft tall Christmas or Holloween figures, shadow boxes, planters, etc. Most all of it is pine and he works in batches of 10-20 at a time. Lots of pattern routing, shape sanding, biscuit or pocket screw joinery. Nothing fancy as the focus of the finished projects is the painting. It sure helps that he sleeps with the painting instructor:D but he does enough stuff to keep busy and enough of a small profit to make it worthwhile.

Neal Clayton
12-14-2008, 10:39 PM
The best way to make a small fortune in woodworking is to start with a large fortune.

haha, that's the most true thing i've seen posted in awhile.

but hey, i got lots of mulch!

Chip Lindley
12-15-2008, 1:49 AM
Since We are retired and not dependent on income from Our shop, it is up to You and Me, how much or little We work. The more you work, the more tools you can buy! If you just don't feel like starting a new project, nobody says you have must!

The bottom line is, decide what part of woodworking INTERESTS you! Some niche's make more money faster/easier than others. To you, or me, some will be fun; others pure agony or drudgery!

Personally, I enjoy creating blanket chests, free standing and built in bookcases, bath vanities, and kitchen remodels (if I am particularly energetic!) Raised panel door construction is my forte'. I also spend as much time buying and restoring old woodworking machinery as I do building things of wood. I enjoy resurrecting good ol' machines from the dead.

The next guy may prefer bowl turning, or intarsia, or making exotic golf tees!! This is not a business as much as an enjoyable way to maintain my sobriety! If I break even I have succeeded! If I were doing it to make lots of money, I would be drunk in no time! The thought of making 29 raised panel cherry doors for a kitchen excites me! The thought of making even 3 of those yard ornament windmill ducks that *RUN* when the wind blows, depresses me!! Merry Christmas Creekers!

Dave Falkenstein
12-15-2008, 1:33 PM
I am retired and I make money to buy tools by doing projects for others. I find work two ways. First is through referrals from friends and previous clients. Second is through a handyman friend that sends projects my way, or calls me to help him on two-man projects.

Find a niche that includes working on things you like to do. I'm not one to make the same thing over and over, so I look for cabinet installation work, primarily using kit cabinets from Home Depot or Lowe's. I have done lots of storage systems for closets, garages and utility rooms. I also do deck work in the summer months at a cabin community where we have a summer place.

I have found projects harder to come by for the last year or so, probably because of the economy.

Wade Lippman
12-15-2008, 5:13 PM
I have sold a number of pieces, but it is hard to say that I have made much money off it. I am happy when I clear expenses. Unless you somehow have incredible contacts, or are incredibly skilled, I would make other plans.

Don Bullock
12-15-2008, 9:02 PM
... or making exotic golf tees!! ...

Now there's an interesting idea. I wonder if they would sell.:rolleyes: