PDA

View Full Version : casters

Bruce Mack
12-14-2008, 11:37 AM
This is a note of appreciation. My basement shop is small and crowded and I decided to make a plywood platform base for my small planer. The casters in the catalogues seemed overpriced and those in the stores looked flimsy. I just received 4 locking casters from Great Lakes Casters (I have no connection with them) for about $35 with shipping. They are substantial and roll/turn very smoothly. This is a revelation to me, as I am accustomed to the barely adequate OEM stuff that comes with most portable equipment. I hope this is helpful to those considering making their own bases.

Steven DeMars
12-14-2008, 1:15 PM
I agree, I also purchased (4) casters from GLC & am very pleased with the result . . .

Recently received (4) more caster (5" swivel for a mobile tool cabinet the wife & I are building for our turning tools.

Steve

Joe Jensen
12-14-2008, 1:17 PM
I agree, I also purchased (4) casters from GLC & am very pleased with the result . . .

Recently received (4) more caster (5" swivel for a mobile tool cabinet the wife & I are building for our turning tools.

Steve

Steve, why the 5th swivel wheel when you have leveling casters?

Steven DeMars
12-14-2008, 1:28 PM
The above steel mobile stand has (4) leveling casters and one "steady" foot. The "foot" was an extra feature I added to eliminate the possibility of the unit flipping backward when the jointer table was pivoted/moved out of position to use the planer.

The leveling feet eliminate any movement on the floor.:)

We also purchased (4) 5 " (inch) casters for another project . . . a rolling tool cabinet for turning tools . . . will upload pics when complete . . .