PDA

View Full Version : Frame and Panel - with a Domino. Your method?

John Keeton
12-14-2008, 9:28 AM
What methods do you use to plow the grooves for the panel when using a Domino to join the rails/stiles?

Chip Lindley
12-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Cutting a stopped slot would be best done with a piloted slotting bit. Of course, the ends of slot would have to be pared square with a chisel to accept the panel. Unless, of course, you slot the whole stile and plug the end after assembling the frame and panel.

terry hansen
12-14-2008, 8:07 PM
I cut the domino holes, (8/30) then on a router table set up a 1/4inch spiral upcut bit (upside down so works as down cut) and cut the stiles as stopped dados using the domino hole to slip over the bit at beginning and then marked on the piece to know when to stop. I've been making kitchen cabinet doors with domino (loose tenon) construction. Panels flush on back, 1/4 inch inset in front - in a shaker style. Seems to work well. if this isn't clear I can probably send some photos.

John Stevens
12-14-2008, 10:21 PM
if this isn't clear I can probably send some photos.

Hi, Terry. That's plenty clear, so I really hate to impose, but if it's not too much trouble, I'd really appreciate seeing some pics of a door, front and back. Do you rabbet the panel at a 90 degree angle, or do you bevel it slightly?

Regards,

John

frank shic
12-15-2008, 12:06 AM
jk, i just did this today with a plow plane. i inserted the blade portion of the plane into the domino mortise and then plowed to the other mortise although i had to do a fair bit of hand paring with a chisel to get the groove consistent all the way across. fastest way to make a raised panel frame might still be to use a router table set up with the cope and stick profiles and just micropin after assembly.

John Keeton
12-15-2008, 8:13 AM
John S., I had PM'd Terry for some pics, but maybe posting them would be better for all to see. I hope he has one prior to assembly so I can see his panel. The groove instructions were clear - although I presume one would have to be careful on letting glue from the tenon get to the corner of the panel.

Frank, I want to do more of a mission style door, so the cope/stick bits may not work. Although, seems I saw someone was making one without the typical profile on the rails/stiles.

Larry Fox
12-15-2008, 9:01 AM
I don't have the doc in front of me but I believe Jerry Work talked a little bit about this in his doc "Getting the most from the Festool Domino". I would also be interested in seeing alternative approaches as I have some of these to do very soon (this week) as well).

Just found the link on Uncle Bob's site.
http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/docs/Getting_most_from_Domino.pdf

Greg Sznajdruk
12-15-2008, 9:06 AM
There are a number of manufactures that make Mission rail and stile bits depending on how many doors are required this could be an alternative.

Greg

Sue Wise
12-15-2008, 10:29 AM
I have only done one set of frame and panel doors using my Domino for a cabinet in my workshop. I did it exactly the way Terry describes his process.

-Sue

James Adinaro
12-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I've not personally used these, but am considering picking them up.

Would something like this work?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=47818&cat=1,46168,46176

Of course, the previous point about squaring the ends would still apply.

John Keeton
12-15-2008, 4:18 PM
James, I have a slot cutting bit similar to those shown, and that was going to be my first option. I imagine one could run the groove into the mortise as stated before. But, I kind of like the spiral up cut bit, too. Still concerned about the glue situation in the corners.

Larry, I appreciate the link to the article. Haven't had a chance to digest that yet, but will this evening.

terry hansen
12-18-2008, 10:08 PM
sorry - been out of town so unable to post. a few photos attached as I can't find the whole set (CRS sets in at an early age).

-finished door
-thru dado showing offset
-r&s joint - i use pencil to align domino and reference mark where w/chalk
-domino set to make sure don't blow out top - router dado typically will -"eat out" part of tenon or i just reduce in width
-mark domino location w/chalk for blind dado & tape for appropriate side.
(even w/this I still make em on the wrong side)

next post will show some more

hope this helps

terry hansen
12-18-2008, 10:21 PM
2 examples of doors
- no glass yet needed to get up for holiday party
-inside showing hinge and flush panel on inside (no bevel - didn't think of that)(hinge placement and glass caused a bit of problem and rework)
-bad closeup of hinge, some panels needed minor modification to be totally flush
-panel "lip" or rabbet