PDA

View Full Version : Lathe upgrade and first gloat!

Derek Hansen
12-14-2008, 8:48 AM
As I outfitted my shop over the past year, I was forced to buy everything new - the used equipment market in Houston is nothing to write home about.

I had been turning on an old Sears lathe that was given to me by a coworker who had given up the hobby, however I quickly started reaching the limits of its capacity and becoming frustrated with its shortcomings.

So, I decided I was going to move all the way to the top and save up for a 3520B. Just for the hell of it, I posted a want-ad on craigslist saying I was looking for a used one.

What do you know, a week later I get an e-mail from a gentleman who just bought himself a 3520B, and needs to get rid of his old lathe, the Jet 1642 2HP.

Needless to say, we made a deal - $1250. It's in excellent condition and check out the upgraded handles! If a used 3520B comes along, I may try and grab it, but I have a feeling this baby will suit me just fine for a long time.

David Walser
12-14-2008, 9:46 AM
The Jet's a fine lathe. More lathe than many of us will ever need -- but not more than most of us will lust after!

Congrats and good luck!

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Derek - congrats on your new lathe! I have the same model and love it! Like everyone else, I get the bug to upgrade every now and then but the Jet has been able to do everything I have asked of it - cept turn 20" rough blanks!!! Have fun with it! Hope to see some of your work real soon!

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Congrats on a great find Derek. That lathe will probably do you for some time to come. Like Steve I have had the itch now and then to upgrade to a bigger lathe but when it gets right down to it rarely do I ever turn much over 15" or 16". Maybe a platter on occasion.

Chris Haas
12-14-2008, 11:58 AM
good for you. i have the same lathe, its awesome, it makes turning so much easier and more fun, if thats possible. i was able to pick mine up used too, which makes you feel even better. way to go. youll love it.

Jack Mincey
12-14-2008, 6:56 PM
Nice lathe, that is a good deal. If you still have the old sears lathe make a buffer out of it. I got a #1 to #2 adapterfrom Enco, took the bar out of the head stock turned it out off the workbench so that I could use my beale buffing system on it. Works great, but you can still take a finished bowl and make it into a UFO if not carefull.
Jack

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2008, 7:18 PM
Congrats Derek! May it serve you well!

Jim Kountz
12-15-2008, 1:21 AM
Way to go Derek, you'll love it, I sure do like mine!!

alex carey
12-15-2008, 5:55 AM
Very nice, I was thinking about this lathe quite a bit. Just wondering how big a piece of wood can this turn? Can this lathe handle bowl blanks over 70+ pounds or is it too small?

Richard Madison
12-15-2008, 1:19 PM
Alex,
About 15-3/4" diameter, but for roughing, particularly a big chunk, it is best to use the tailstock for additional support. I never rough anything of any size without tailstock support.