PDA

View Full Version : Kreg "dry lube" screw?

dennis thompson
12-14-2008, 7:00 AM
Can someone tell me the difference between a regular Kreg pocket screw & a "dry lube " one?
Thanks
Dennis

Joe Chritz
12-14-2008, 9:30 AM
There is a dry film lube of some kind that is supposed to make the screw drive easier. I expect they are tumbled in some fairy dust before packaged. :D

I think it is mostly marketing and wouldn't pay extra for it, although I have not done a test side by side.

If I get a tough hole I will pre-drill or take the screw in a small amount and back out short distances until sunk or use some wax.

Joe

Joe Scharle
12-14-2008, 9:37 AM
From McFeely's site:

All McFeely’s™ Unplated screws receive a Dry-Lube finish which reduces driving torque requirements

Sue Wise
12-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Someone here mentioned using a toilet waxy ring to quickly wax screws. This is such a great and easy idea. Now when I use screws (of any kind) in hardwood, I quickly swipe the screw on the waxy ring and I am ready to go.

-Sue

Andrew Nemeth
12-14-2008, 10:30 AM
I use a can of minwax furniture wax. The toilet bowl wax is a bit too sticky for my taste and never dries so it can get quite messy if you get it somewhere you don't want it. I just open the can up and point as many screws as I need into the can. As an added benifit the screws don't roll around and get lost. It is amazing how many of those buggers I can loose in a day if I'm not careful (and they are not cheap).