PDA

View Full Version : Cutting felt with a HX3040

Stefan Stuckmann
12-14-2008, 4:19 AM
Hello,

I just received my Rabbit HX3040 and spend the last two days trying to cut felt (1/8"). Thing is: I get the laser to cut throught the felt, I also get the shapes right, but I always end up getting charred edges.
There are a few threads and websites discussing the possibility of lasercutting felt, but I couldn't reproduce any of their tactics. I also tried nearly all possible configurations - yet without success :(
If there is anybody here who could help out with some hints or ideas his help would be greatly appreciated!

Greetings,

Stefan

EDIT: I'm just wondering if an air assist might do the trick for me?

Tom Winters
12-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Stefan,

Lower your corner power about 5 points below the normal power power.

When on the screen in Laser Cut 5.1 that allows you to change the cut power for the layer you are assigning, click on the button that has three dots in it. Clicking on this buttong will bring up your advanced options for the laser. Adjust the frequency of the machine from 20,000 to about 500. This should help you out some.

What is the cut setting that allowed you to get results closest to what you are looking at achieving?

YES, YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR AIR ASSIST HOOKED UP AND FUNCTIONING PROPERLY WHEN CUTTING ALMOST ANYTHING. DO NOT CUT FELT< IF AIR ASSIST IS NOT FUNCTIONING!!!

Stefan Stuckmann
12-14-2008, 2:18 PM
Hi Tom,

thanks for your answer!

Unfortunately, the hx3040 comes with NewlyDraw, not LaserCut, and therefore is missing any option to adjust the frequency. Or do I just miss it?
There is however an option for corner-power - I'll give it a try. On the other hand, I haven't yet achieved anything close to the result I would like to get, althoug I tried nearly every option in every combination.

Only thing that worked till now is wetting the felt before cutting it - so that the water prevents charring. But this can't be the real deal, can it?

Regarding the air-assist - I don't have one yet since the hx3040 comes without one. However, I just found the DIY-air-assist-thread from Jim Dornon and think that's the way to go for me.

I better get this thing to cut felt, since this is the application I bought it for...

Doug Griffith
12-14-2008, 2:41 PM
I've cut felt with success (on an Epilog) using air assist and a low frequency. One thing to consider is that there are many different types of felt from natural to synthetic. It will make a difference.

There is another active thread about import vs domestic equipment. Not being able to adjust frequency is a serious issue and would sway my purchasing decision. I hope you are able to adjust the frequency and are just having a hard time with the interface.

Cheers,
Doug

Stefan Stuckmann
12-14-2008, 3:41 PM
Hey Doug,

thanks for your input! I'm only using 100% natural felt but also tried synthetic. This goes without charring but the edges become very solid, almost plastic-like.

Before ordering the laser I read a lot about chinese and western-world lasers and was well aware of the risk. I also asked the chinese sales-rep if this exact model is capable of doing what i planned - she told me it is. So I'm still hoping to get it right. Maybe anyone knows how to reduce the frequency!?

Best regards,

Stefan

Larry Bratton
12-14-2008, 6:54 PM
Hey Doug,

thanks for your input! I'm only using 100% natural felt but also tried synthetic. This goes without charring but the edges become very solid, almost plastic-like.

Before ordering the laser I read a lot about chinese and western-world lasers and was well aware of the risk. I also asked the chinese sales-rep if this exact model is capable of doing what i planned - she told me it is. So I'm still hoping to get it right. Maybe anyone knows how to reduce the frequency!?

Best regards,

Stefan
Stefan....maybe you should call her?

Stefan Stuckmann
12-14-2008, 7:37 PM
Of course you're right, I already wrote her a mail and am awaiting her answer tomorrow. But, you know, I was working all weekend on this and knew I wouldn't get something from them till monday. And considering the heavy knowhow concentrated in this forum, I found it not that bad an idea to ask for help here!

Zachery Thomas
12-15-2008, 9:43 AM
Stefan,

I have a JSM-40 with NewlyDraw (similar system to the Rabbit).

The only clean cuts I have been able to get in 1/8" felt are using 2-pass, this allows a lower power which doesn't cause charring. I had power at ~2W (I'm not sure how accurate the pot is on this thing, but 1/2 turn) and using 2cm/s. It cut very nice, with the odd piece still connected by a thread or two but most fell right out.

You might also try adjusting the focus slightly 'off', I have found setting 2.5" (actual focus length is 2.25") works well on some materials (or it could just be the setup on my system).

To do 2-pass I just copy and paste the artwork back over itself, seems to work better than running the job twice.

Good luck!