PDA

View Full Version : New member - rediscovering woodworking

Bill Brush
12-14-2008, 1:25 AM
I have always loved to build thing, and making something from scratch is even better. I did some woodworking in High School about 20 years ago and loved it. In fact my parents are still using the tv stand/table I made for them in shop class. More recently I've been focused on carpentry, dry wall, plumbing, electrical and other assorted Dad duties. Back in October I was cleaning the garage and decided that my very nice whetstones deserved a better storage container than an oil saturated Nike shoe box. So I started down the woodworking project path I had not traveled in years. I found it very satisfying and was fairly pleased with the results, so I've been poking around the internet and found this Sawmill Creek and decided to stay a while and live vicariously through all the craftsmen that have time to do big projects.

Anyway my whetstone box was designed to the exact measurements of my whetstones, and included the honing oil bottle. Since I didn't want it to be too massive I went with 1/2" oak for the shell and 1/4" ply for the partitions. I didn't like the look of the edge grain of the partitions so I trimmed them with some scrap yellowheart I've had kicking around my scraps bin for about 8-9 years. Then I realized I needed to reinforce the but joints of the tray, so I splined them with some readheart that's been keeping the yellowheart company. The metalwork was all done from scratch using some sheet brass I had leftover from another project. Considering my lack of tools I was happy to complete it with only one minor defect which was one corner joinery being assymetrical to the other corners. For a tool storage box I'll live with it. It's probably too nice for its intended purpose, but it's the first project I've done with myself as the intended recipient in over a decade so I let my penchant for overbuilding have free rein.

I look forward to learning a lot from you gentlemen.

Bill

Joe Chritz
12-14-2008, 9:33 AM
Looks like a good, useful project. Shop projects are usually where I test my new processes. That way I can save the good mistakes for the other projects. ;)

Welcome aboard

Joe

Craig T. Smith
12-14-2008, 9:37 AM
Bill, Nice work, My wife says I'm my worst critic. The way I look at it we all have to learn(and pratice) somewhere. As a beginner myself I try to satisfy myself and strive to improve with each project. Are the joints on the outer box dovetails or boxjoints? Hand cut or machined? Again nice work. Also welcome to The Creek. Happy Woodworking, Craig

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the Creek Bill!

Nice shop project.

John Thompson
12-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Welcome Bill... you did a nice job on the box with the design and construction. Considering you have few tools and only a year of HS shop you actually did a very fine job. Box joints and splines already, huh....

Did you do them with a router or do you have a TS. Whatever... keep it up and be aware this could lead to addiction as it has in many cases. So.. you might want to warn the other half you have entered the slipery slope and may take a slide that leads to "Mo Tools". :)

Enjoy.... that's what it's really all about

Sarge..

gary Zimmel
12-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the Creek Bill..

You will find a ton of knowledge here.

Nice project to start getting one organized in the shop.

Dewey Torres
12-14-2008, 2:06 PM
Welcome to the Creek' Bill. We will be looking forward to your future projects.

Bill Brush
12-14-2008, 3:02 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

The joinery on the corners are box joints. I have an extremely crappy dovetail jig which is of the half-blind only/bushing variety that a family member borrowed and proceed to NOT use a bushing on, with predictable results to the plastic template. So I used a template from it with a straight bit and some very creative clamping to cut the box joints. Since the bushing off-set made one set of pins too big I had to hand cut them down to fit. So they are kind of half and half hand cut/routed.

I really really really want a good dovetail jig (the Keller looks viable), but I need a project to use it on before I can justify it. I might also try some hand cutting, but I'm not sure I have the time to devote to mastering that skill just yet.

As far as the Mo Tools goes, it's far too late for that. The end of November I took advantage of a special offer from the DIY store and bought a basic band saw, a basic drill press, and a nice Porter-Cable router for my router table. My router table has been unused for a LONG time because taking the plunge router in and out was a royal pain. So now for Christmas I'm making picture frames and bookmarks. The Porter-Cable is getting a real workout making those frames too. :)