PDA

View Full Version : One of the best, quickest and easiest toys to make.

Bill Huber
12-13-2008, 11:55 PM
These are so quick to make and so easy but they are so good.

About 8 years ago I made some triangles for my daughter to use in her class room as a toy to play with on a rainy day. They were always one of the first things the kids wanted to play with. She is not teaching right now so she has them at home.

We had a birthday party for my grand daughter today an one of her cousins was there. He is a 5 year old that the doctors say he has ADD and ADA and every other A something that they can come up with. I think he is a 5 your old boy that just needs to eat less junk food...

We pulled out the blocks and he set in the corner of the room for 3 hours straight playing with them and was just as creative as he could be.

Here's what you need to do to make them. (read close, these are hard to make:))

Get some scrap solid wood, about 3/8 to 1/2 thick, rip it to about 2 1/2 inches wide. Set your miter gauge to 30 Degrees and start cutting, flip the board over after every cut, sand the edges and then paint them. I painted the ones I made half were red and half were black.

That is it, now give them to a kid and watch them go and yes you can play with them first to make sure they work.:D

Steve Rozmiarek
12-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Thats pretty good Bill, going to see if my somewhat ambitious 5 year old can put some of her abundant energy to use with those.:D

Bill Huber
12-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Thats pretty good Bill, going to see if my somewhat ambitious 5 year old can put some of her abundant energy to use with those.:D

Just make sure you set the miter gauge at 30 degrees not 60.

I had some somewhat like that when I was a kid but they were a lot smaller, the larger ones work best and are easier to handle.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Sorry, Bill, but I didn't how long the pieces are? Would 3/4" thick work, too?

Bruce

Bill Huber
12-16-2008, 3:37 AM
Sorry, Bill, but I didn't how long the pieces are? Would 3/4" thick work, too?

Bruce

You can make them just about any size you want, if you wanted to make them 1 inch thick it would work.

I made a 100 of them this weekend and the wood I used was some 3/4 inch HD poplar I had, I resawed it right down the middle and then planned it to 5/16 and ripped it to 2 1/2 inches. So they were 5/16 x 2 1/2 x 4 foot. Set the miter to 30 degrees and a stop block on the rip fence and started cutting, flipped the board over on every cut and that was it.

Now the ones I made this weekend I haven't gotten painted yet, the wife has them on the dining room table and making all kind of designs with them.

Todd Crawford
12-16-2008, 6:00 AM
Sounds like a great idea. I've got a 4 yr old nephew and he came in my shop with me the other day and was immediately drawn to the triangle I had left over after cutting 45 degree angles in 1.5 x 1.5 inch popular I used in a project a while back. He would take 4 of them and arrange them in a square, then stack a bunck together and form a Christmas tree. It was so fun to watch his imagination at work. All from scraps.