PDA

View Full Version : Delta 17-959L drill press report

Sean Tracey
12-13-2008, 11:22 PM
I recently bought a Delta 17-959L. It drills excellent and I love the overall layout of the various controls and I love the table. It does however, have some quality issues from both a design and from a manufacturing stand point that detract from a mostly well designed machine. I am fairly sure I can fix the worst of these. I recommend the machine, but some buyer's should read and decide for themselves. Also, Delta doesn't have much to do to make the machine excellent in all regards.

Initially, I tried to buy it at a local Woodcraft. The salesman was uninformed and very annoying. As I was looking at the different drill presses, he made lots of useless comments and was really just bugging me. It's a shame that The Cutting Edge across the street is going out of business. All of this is only useful if you shop for woodworking tools on the south side of Houston. I looked at the Steel City as it get's rave reviews here, but I didn't find it very appealing as far as one could check it out on a retail store floor. Woodcraft had all the drill presses crammed together so you were somewhat hampered in checking them out.

I found it much easier to change speeds on the V-belts fitted to the Delta and I liked the big belt tension knob on the Delta better. The Steel City has a larger diameter quill and a longer stroke, but I found the Delta's adequate.

What I really liked about the Delta was the table. Easy to adjust to an angle, although the vast majority of holes will be drilled at 90 degrees.

So I ordered the Delta. The salesman informed me it would be about a week for delivery. I didn't get a call after a week, and my credit card had been charged, so I called the store only to be told that Woodcraft had none in stock and wouldn't get any until January. I cancelled the order and bought from Amazon and received the machine in a week.

The packaging was a cardboard box and styrofoam completely inadequate for shipping a 200lb item. The foam was broken and as a consequence the plastic belt drive top had a small piece broken off the front. It is serviceable but the packaging is really just plain ignorant. I doubt I will bother calling for a replacement.

I put the machine together without difficulty. There were a few things I did not like however. The bearing surfaces of the table that attach it to the post were painted and the bearing surface of the table trunions that allow it to tilt were also painted. Luckily, the paint wasn't adhered all that well and I scrapped it off with a razor blade followed by a light hand brushing with WD40 and a brass wire brush. The bearing surface where the table attaches to the post had several surface dings that I quickly knocked down with a fine mill file. Knocking down the high spots is all that is required and it took little time to do so. Better packaging would have most likely made this unnecessary. Also, I doubt the table would have worked nicely and squared up as nice had I not scrapped the paint off of the bearing surfaces. Lot's of people wouldn't know to do this and probably have a much worse impression of the machine than is otherwise deserved.

I used a hoist to put the head of the machine on the post. If I didn't have a hoist, I probably would have inserted the post into the head of the machine and then lifted the head and post together. Either way you have to be very careful as it is pretty heavy.

It came with a laser. I actually make a laser alignment system at work, but generally, I consider lasers on most power tools kind of useless. I didn't even put the one on my Bosch SCMS because it is just way too easy and accurate to touch the blade to pencil mark. The laser is very bright and of decent projection quality. Adjusting it is very clumsy since you have to remove a cover to adjust them and the act of reinstalling the cover affects the alignment. It is tedious to get the lasers accurately aligned and is more of a process of trial and error. I was able to get it extremely close and probably accurate enough, but having worked with CNC machinery, I like things to be damn near perfect. I have fitted the table with a Woodpeckers drill press table top that I absolutely love. I find the laser useful for resetting the table in position after moving it around. Also, the laser uses 120v power instead of a battery which moves it out of gimmick zone like those fitted on SCMS. Still, it would be nice if you could adjust the thing without having to uninstall and reinstall the covers which serve to hold the lasers in place.

I set the table at 90 degrees to the drill using a dial indicator and got the surface of the table running within 0.020" as indicated on a circle of 8 inches in diameter. I could have possibly cut this in half, but it is unnecessary to do so. There is a threaded stud with a single lock nut provided for the purpose of giving a 90 degree stop. A better choice would have been to provide an allen head bolt with a lock nut. This would have cost nothing and make it very easy to set the table stop exactly. I guess I will have to make a trip to the hardware store for a metric allen head. I will be able to get that 0.020" runout down to 0.010 easily after that.

The spindle runs very nicely with no noticeable runout when drilling holes. The quil feeds nicely throughout it's range with just a slight stickiness when it goes back to the very top. I think that's caused mostly by excess grease. The quil feed has nice big knobs and a quil stop is provided which is handy when using a dial indicator to set the table. As far as drilling goes, the machine is excellent.

The pulleys are another matter. They cause lots of vibration at higher speeds which does not affect the quality of the drilling but causes things to vibrate off the table and is bad enough that the vibration will prematurely wear out the spindel. The main culprit is the pulley on the drilling spindel. It has over 0.020 runout and can be seen wobbling all over the place. I suspect that the individual belt surfaces are O.K. but that the part was not properly aligned to these surfaces when it was bored. I will most likely remove the pulley, take it to work (I own a machine shop) align to the smallest and larges diameter belt surfaces. If they are running decently true, then I will bore it out, reweld the bore at both ends and rebore the welded ends back to proper diameter. I won't know if this is possible until I remove the pulley. Alternatively, I may rebush the bore instead of welding.

I will also probalby use linked belts as the various pulley's seem to have imperfect alignment depending on the speeds chosen.

The last criticism is of the motor bracket and the bores for rods holding it. The mechanism for adjusting the belts works nicely, but the rods slide in holes bored directly into the casting. The casting where the holes are bored is relatively thin and provides little bushing surface area and the holes are bored too loosely so the motor can tilt quite a bit when you tighten the belt tension. There isn't much I can do about this, although I will say that the tilt probaly only occurs if you over tighten the belt tension. I have been stopping just short of the tilt when adjusting tension but I haven't turned anything bigger than a 7/8" forstner bit into some western red cedar. Anyway, the holes are too sloppy and the casting is too thin to provide a decent bushing area.

All in all, I like the machine. My major complaint is the pulley. I would have still bought the machine over the Steel City, because of the nice table and the overall design of the machine. The Delta has a lot going for it, a few minor corrections to quality control would make the machine much better. Next time I am in a store, I guarantee you I will look a Steel City over to see how their pulleys and tension adjustment work.

Brad Townsend
12-14-2008, 9:15 AM
Excellent information Sean! This is extremely helpful to those of us who are not as well versed in machining and QC issues. Since most of us have to buy our machines without ever getting to actually run them first, this is good information.

So we can conclude that this is a machine worth considering if you happen to own a machine shop? That's not very encouraging.;)

Sean Tracey
12-14-2008, 10:23 AM
To be fair, the only thing that would have to be corrected at a machine shop is the pulley. I plan on fixing it at the machine shop since for me that will be the quickest and most surefire way of fixing the part.

If I didn't own a machine shop, I would call Delta and tell them that the drill spindle pulley is wobbling horribly.

I may still have to go this route, if I am incorrect in that I believe the pulley was chucked at an angle and then bored with this incorrect alignment.

The table mounting surface scraping can be done by anybody who can handle a razor blade. I just think Delta needs to update their manufacturing procedures to mask these portions off as I am not sure how many people would know that the paint should be scrapped off.

Also, the packaging is highly likely to cause frustration on anybody receiving the machine. I recommend opening the package on the spot prior to signing for receipt.

One other thing I forgot. The 5/8" capacity Drill chuck that came with the machine is good. It works as it should and does not run out. I wanted to drill some 1/8" holes in the back of my Woodpecker drill press table, so I installed an American made Jacobs chuck that has a 1/2" capacity.

The American made chuck is much nicer in that it opening and closing it is so much smoother, easier and faster. It will stay in the drill press because I doubt I will be chucking on anything larger than 1/2".

I recommend buying a new Jacobs chuck and taper arbor at www.use-enco.com.

Brian Effinger
12-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the review. I found it very helpful because I ordered one recently through ebay. When mine comes in January, I'll make sure to come back to your thread and read through it again. For me, I have good reason to wait for it - I got free shipping and 30% microsoft/ebay cash back, so it was only $400 :) I also plan on opening the box while it is still on the truck and look for damage.

I took a look at the link you provided for the chuck. Which one did you get?

pat warner
12-14-2008, 11:15 AM
You mention little about the table and its size with respect to woodworking. Adequate? Or mainly for the metal work you do?

Easy to clamp to, or maybe just for your vises?

Thank you for analysis.

Charles Shenk
12-14-2008, 11:20 AM
How does one qualitfy for the 30% microsoft/ebay cash back?

Brian Effinger
12-14-2008, 12:01 PM
How does one qualitfy for the 30% microsoft/ebay cash back?
Check out the deals and discounts forum - there are several threads in there about the program. Unfortunately they are only offering 8% right now, but it will hopefully go back up to 20 or 30 soon (I have more tools to buy :D).

Charles Shenk
12-14-2008, 1:06 PM
Check out the deals and discounts forum - there are several threads in there about the program. Unfortunately they are only offering 8% right now, but it will hopefully go back up to 20 or 30 soon (I have more tools to buy :D).

Thank you for the information!

Sean Tracey
12-14-2008, 4:44 PM
Thanks for the review. I found it very helpful because I ordered one recently through ebay. When mine comes in January, I'll make sure to come back to your thread and read through it again. For me, I have good reason to wait for it - I got free shipping and 30% microsoft/ebay cash back, so it was only $400 :) I also plan on opening the box while it is still on the truck and look for damage.

I took a look at the link you provided for the chuck. Which one did you get?

I bought the 34-02 Heavy Duty, I think it came with a key, but it's always good to get an extra K3 key on page 457. By the way, the key that came with the Delta fits perfectly and it is self-ejecting so you don't forget to take it out of the chuck. The drift that comes with the Delta also works.

You will also need the 2JT x 3MT arbor on page 452. I bought the Jacob brand. It has a relief in the center. The arbor provided with the Delta did not have this relief. The Jacob arbor seats in nice and solid. I like the way it felt when I hit it with my dead blow hammer. Again, nothing was really wrong with the Delta, but it is customary to provide a relief in the center of the arbor to avoid bottoming out in the middle instead of the ends.

Sean Tracey
12-14-2008, 4:57 PM
You mention little about the table and its size with respect to woodworking. Adequate? Or mainly for the metal work you do?

Easy to clamp to, or maybe just for your vises?

Thank you for analysis.

I bought the drill press for home use, mostly for wood working. If I were buying for a shop, I would buy something with variable speed and much heavier duty.

I find the table much better than the table on all the other wood working drill presses in that it has two nice t-slots for 5/16" bolt and a replacable mdf center piece. The tilt is extremely nice.

I do think the table is not quite big enough and I think a table with a fence is the way to go. That is why I installed a Woodpecker's drill press table with a fence and added some of the hold down clamps and flip stops pretty much as you see here. I love the woodpecker table. It is much easier to hold work and drilling a series of holes perfectly in line is much easier this way. The woodpecker table hangs about 3 or 4 inches over either side of the table. You will need some longer screws to attach it as the ones that come with the table are 1" and I found 1 1/2 #10's were better so long as you flipped the oval t-slot nuts to lessen the penetration of the screws into the table. The clamps work excellent although you may want to put something under them if you are clamping really soft wood.

http://www.woodpeck.com/media/main_wpdptable.jpg