PDA

View Full Version : Router table, centered or offset

Darren Vass
12-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm ready to purchase a router and setup. I can only afford to purchase one router at this point and it has to be used for both free hand and table. I'm thinking of going with the Makita 3612C and a router table top. I will make the legs and dust collection cabinet. I also have been toying with getting the Milwaukee 5616-24 for the fixed and plunge bases.

Woodpecker seems to have to cheapest priced router table tops, but they offer centered and off center. Can someone tell me the difference and possibly point me in the right direction. It's difficult to know what will work best. The router reviews on Amazon always seems to have one or two guys who will not like this or that product for some reason.

Thanks

Darren

Ray Schafer
12-13-2008, 11:57 PM
I recommend offset. Most of the work that you do -- well, most of the work I do -- does not require a lot of space in front of the router bit. But when I do need the space, it is nice to know that I have the table space to support it.

John Thompson
12-14-2008, 12:38 AM
I built one about 7 years ago and centered my insert. But... if I had to do another one (unfortunately it has stayed very flat so no excuse to do another :)) I woud off-set for the reason Ray mentioned. I often run some wide panels through and have to provide support. If it were off-set that support wouldn't be needed most of the time.

Sarge..

Bill Huber
12-14-2008, 12:49 AM
I am with Ray on this, I like the off set it just gives me more room up front were I need it.

No matter what top you get just make sure it is supported good and it will stay flat.

Darren Vass
12-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Is it difficult to build an offset table top? I'm building the cabinet base. Is there a good plan for an offset top somewhere?

Thanks

Bill Huber
12-14-2008, 2:07 AM
Is it difficult to build an offset table top? I'm building the cabinet base. Is there a good plan for an offset top somewhere?

Thanks

An offset top is just placing the router plate not in the center. So you really don't need a plan for it, just when you cut the top for the plate just put it to the back.

Chip Lindley
12-14-2008, 2:40 AM
The offset router table this thread speaks of, is off center not from front to back, BUT from left to right. The miter slot even goes from front to back! I do not see any utility in this design. I believe most will find the outfeed side too short, just as much or more than they appreciate a long infeed.

Aside from enjoying some *symmetry* in my life, I wonder how many times a piece will be ruined by picking at the crossways miter slot it passes over?? Just bad form, IMO.

If *centered* is good enough for industrial shapers, why not the lowly router table. but, to each their own.

Bill Huber
12-14-2008, 2:51 AM
The offset router table this thread speaks of, is off center not from front to back, BUT from left to right. The miter slot even goes from front to back! I do not see any utility in this design. I believe most will find the outfeed side too short, just as much or more than they appreciate a long infeed.

Aside from enjoying some *symmetry* in my life, I wonder how many times a piece will be ruined by picking at the crossways miter slot it passes over?? Just bad form, IMO.

If *centered* is good enough for industrial shapers, why not the lowly router table. but, to each their own.

I should have looked first but I didn't, now that I have it looks to me like you use the table just like any other table and the deepness of the table is for the fence system.

http://www.woodpeck.com/routertopsmain.html

Myk Rian
12-14-2008, 9:30 AM
An offset top is just placing the router plate not in the center. So you really don't need a plan for it, just when you cut the top for the plate just put it to the back.
Trouble comes in when placing a fence on it.
I prefer my insert a little toward the front, and to the left. That gives me more possibilities to put my fences on.

Darren Vass
12-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Axl,

Do you have a pic of your table top. I'm trying to understand the placement with the fence.

Darren

John Thompson
12-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Yep... I also did not Google for the table the OP mentioned when I said I would use off-set if doing it again. I would but as Chip mentioned I would off-set toward the back of that table shown and put the fence lenght-wise oln that table to have more in-feed... out-feed support which is critical on long stock as I do often..

Sarge..

Myk Rian
12-14-2008, 1:39 PM
For some reason, an upload won't take. Here's a couple web links.
I put the tracks in the top so I can place my fences anywhere I want them. I have another fence that I normally put across the back.
http://www.routerforums.com/attachments/axlmyks-stuff/11857d1205763560-router-table-cabinet-100_2669s.jpg
http://www.routerforums.com/attachments/axlmyks-stuff/11858d1205763560-router-table-cabinet-100_2668s.jpg

Darren Vass
12-14-2008, 6:55 PM
Nice pics Axl. Nice table. Is that an Incra jig/fence? I looked at one FW article that showed a portable table where the builder put the table insert to the right of the table so as to provide more outfeed. Does this make sense?

Myk Rian
12-14-2008, 6:59 PM
I like to have the room to line up the workpiece before I feed it in. Personal preference is the rule.
That Incra jig is a nice fence. I use it a lot.
I made a larger fence that I use when jointing, or using a larger bit.

Greg Hines, MD
12-14-2008, 7:38 PM
Mine is centered, and I am going to have to replace it, as I purchased an Incra Jig for positioning my fence. Making it centered does not leave enough room behind the router for the jig.

Doc

Darren Vass
12-14-2008, 8:38 PM
What are you going to replace it with Greg? I am an NP in internal med. Did not think that docs got into this stuff. Great.

Greg Hines, MD
12-14-2008, 8:58 PM
What are you going to replace it with Greg? I am an NP in internal med. Did not think that docs got into this stuff. Great.

Currently, it is 3/4" Melamine, reinforced with 1/2" plywood under all of the stress points to make it more rigid. The size is probably 36x30", with an oak banding around the edges. Set into it (and hence needing shoring up) are a miter slot, and a pair of T-Tracks for adjusting my fence. Those are going to stay in the new top, but I need more room to one side for accommodating the mounting board for the Incra Jig. I haven't decided if I will offset it to one side or the other, or front-to-back. I still want to be able to use the miter slot for jigs and such, so it will stay.

What I would really like to do is use my current fence with the Incra Jig. However, it is about 6" thick from the face to the back of it, so that would add to the overall length of the table to accommodate it. I am not rejecting any ideas yet, and it will be after the holidays at least before I can work on it.

There are several physicians on here, if I am not mistaken. I enjoy it as a hobby, and have always liked building things. Eventually, I want to build my own workshop.

Doc

Darren Vass
12-15-2008, 7:46 PM
What do you guys think of this option:

http://www.amazon.com/Incra-LS32-TS-TSIII-32-Inch-Positioner/dp/B0007UQ2CS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1229388141&sr=8-3

It seems that I would save money on having to build a base or cabinet. All I would have to do is build a TS extension table and attach it to my TS3650 and the Incra LS could be used as a superior fence for both the TS and the router table. I could make a small box below the router for dust collection. What do you think? In the long run, I don't think this would be anymore expensive then purchasing a separate router table and fence or building it?

I watched the demo video on Icra's site and it was quite impressive. I'm only unsure whether this LS system is truly for both the TS and router table.