PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy (T88)

Drew Eckhardt
12-13-2008, 10:13 PM
I have a box where I've ended up .010" shy of where I need to be on the inside for my miters to close.

How much of a gap can I fill with T88 before I need to start adding wood flour?

Do I need to do any sort of pre-coating on end-grain joints like this in Baltic birch plywood (marine grade)?

The bottom is a birch frame which mates to an inset piece of plywood with a shiplap, with the sides having a 1/4" overlap with the plywood. The plywood is nearly flat but took a little pressure at a couple of the corners for the joints to close in a dry fit; how much pressure is too much for the epoxy?

John Lucas
12-14-2008, 7:06 AM
I have a box where I've ended up .010" shy of where I need to be on the inside for my miters to close. from what I see, your gap is not so geat as to need any wood f lour,

How much of a gap can I fill with T88 before I need to start adding wood flour? Answered above BUT you might want to consider slcing across the miter and then closing. It will be with no gap at that point, but you will be less by the width of the kerf. Use a Japanese handsaw and that kerf can be negligeble.

Do I need to do any sort of pre-coating on end-grain joints like this in Baltic birch plywood (marine grade)? No

The bottom is a birch frame which mates to an inset piece of plywood with a shiplap, with the sides having a 1/4" overlap with the plywood. The plywood is nearly flat but took a little pressure at a couple of the corners for the joints to close in a dry fit; how much pressure is too much for the epoxy? I don't have the anwer. I just hate to add tension anywhere...it may hold just fine until 3 years out and then start to open.