PDA

View Full Version : LA / San Diego - Things to Do , Places to see

Rich Konopka
06-13-2004, 9:02 AM
Booked the tickets last night for LOML and the kids to spend 12 days in the LA/San Diego :D area in August. Where do I go? :confused: Here are some of my ideas.

Hollywood/Universal Studios
Santa Monica
San Diego Zoo/ Wildlife Park

Any ideas ??? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Jim Baker
06-13-2004, 9:41 AM
In San Diego -
Lego Land if your kids are the right age
Point Loma
Sea World
Moo Town Creamery on Coronado (probably the best Ice cream shop I've ever visited)

Wolf Kiessling
06-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Booked the tickets last night for LOML and the kids to spend 12 days in the LA/San Diego :D area in August. Where do I go? :confused: Here are some of my ideas.

Hollywood/Universal Studios
Santa Monica
San Diego Zoo/ Wildlife Park

Any ideas ??? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Drive/walk around the Mission Bay area.

Torrey Pines State Park beach (used to be my favorite Left Coast beach when I lived in San Diego in the 60's. Don't know what it is like now)

Check the grunion running schedule and go watch/participate in a grunion hunt if you can. This is strictly a night time event. Will require a flash light plus pillow cover or mesh bag.

If you go over to Coronado, check out the Hotel Del Coronado. This is a San Diego landmark.

Ride the Red Trolley to the San Ysidro/Tijuana border and back.

CHECK OUT A GRUNION HUNT. This activity can not be duplicated anywhere else in the world.

Tim Morton
06-13-2004, 11:33 AM
If you like baseball you have 3 parks ...I highly recommend a day game in San Diego.

Mark Singer
06-13-2004, 11:39 AM
I like to hang around Laguna....I will be back around Aug. 4 ...stop by. A Creaker is coming!A Creaker is coming!A Creaker is coming!

Tyler Howell
06-13-2004, 1:10 PM
Gotta love the water! San Diego is way too cool for nautical history. Some great restored ships/u-sea-ums, (Star of India) right on the water front. Took the harbor tour and saw a Sub and AC carrier. They are huge.. :cool:

Hotel DelCoronado is a must see for every wood worker. Tour the building/grounds then sit on the veranda and sip something cool with somebody special. Awesome!:D
You can head over to La Jolla and see how folks like Mark Live.....:eek:

Mark Singer
06-13-2004, 1:22 PM
Tyler,
You didn't come to see me and Chi.!!!!

Tyler Howell
06-13-2004, 2:17 PM
Sorry!

I wasn't a Creeker then, It was about this time last year for my great adventure. Didn't join till Sept. But you can rest assured I'll be dropping in next time....... Soon.;)

Rich Konopka
06-14-2004, 4:59 PM
I like to hang around Laguna....I will be back around Aug. 4 ...stop by. A Creaker is coming!A Creaker is coming!A Creaker is coming!
Do ya think they would let a creaker who bought a Mini Max in Laguna?;)

Chris Padilla
06-14-2004, 5:22 PM
Disneyland!!!

Stefan Antwarg
06-14-2004, 5:31 PM
2 summers ago my wife and I spent a week in the LA area. Most of my favorite parts of the trip was the stuff outside of LA (I just was not into the LA thing). In LA, we enjoyed an evening at the Hollywood Bowl with the LA Philharmonic. Also, the Warner Bros. tour was good. Outside of LA, the Joshua Tree National Forest was very cool. Just wish I had the time to stay a few days. And we really loved Solvang, CA. It is about an hour north of LA but a very nice drive, especially if you take the Pacific coast highway for the first leg of the trip. This was one of my favorite parts of our vacation.

Stefan

Rich Konopka
06-14-2004, 5:33 PM
Disneyland!!!
Actually, I was thinking of driving the 350 miles to experience the 4 G turns on Top Gun at Great Advanture;)

So far, Disney Land, Universal Studios, Seaworld, and San Diego Zoo.

Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, HollyWood, San Diego,

Chris Padilla
06-14-2004, 5:40 PM
And we really loved Solvang, CA. It is about an hour north of LA but a very nice drive, especially if you take the Pacific coast highway for the first leg of the trip. This was one of my favorite parts of our vacation.

Stefan
I am surprised you liked Solvang so much. No doubt the trip there is very nice as is Santa Barbara in general but I found Solvang to be so artificial and commercial and, well, touristy. Wasn't for me I guess but the kids might enjoy it.

Joseph N. Myers
06-14-2004, 8:10 PM
Rich,

If you have the time, and the kids are the right age, Tijauna is well worth a trip. You can get some shopping done and the kids will remember the "atmosphere" for a long time; I know my kids did.

And I 2nd/3rd the San Diego Zoo --- it's something else.

Regards, Joe

Mark Singer
06-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Rich ,
I can overlook certain mistakes that another Creeker has made! Just kidding ....MM makes great equipment! Seriously give me an email or call and I will be here as long as it is after Aug 4...I have the wedding in NY

Bob Hovde
06-16-2004, 4:41 PM
BTW, in August, San Diego/LA can be HOT! Check Weather.com just before you leave the North country. (All the more reason to stay close to the beach! :) )

Bob