PDA

View Full Version : Bits for brace

Joel Goodman
12-13-2008, 2:02 PM
Has anyone tried these auger bits from Lee Valley in a brace?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=45003&cat=1,180,42240

Lee Valley tells me that "the Single-Flute Auger Bits that you are inquiring about have hexagonal shanks. The bit sizes that are 3/4” or larger require a 1/2” chuck."

I have a Stanley 923 Brace and I think they would just barely fit. Or should I just look for an old set?

Graham Hughes (CA)
12-13-2008, 5:35 PM
I haven't tried those bits in a brace, but I have tried Irwins with the same shank style in mine. Different braces accommodate hexagonal shanks better or worse--I have three braces, one of which does not like hexagonal shanks and another of which is iffy about them. You might try testing your brace out with something at the hardware store; a two jaw brace can usually grip one okay.

The nice thing about an old set is they're cheap.

Randy Klein
12-14-2008, 8:15 AM
If you want some real brace bits and don't want to hunt for older ones, try these (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=EE-63579.XX&Category_Code=TD) at TFWW.

Joel Goodman
12-14-2008, 10:20 AM
If only I could afford them! That's why I was asking whether anyone had tried the LV -- $75 for a set.

Richard Niemiec
12-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Sets come up for sale in the classifieds here and at woodnet every once in a while. I just sold two sets of vintage Irwins, one boxed, in the last two months or so, for about $50 +/-

Wait and watch. regards.RN

frank shic
12-14-2008, 9:51 PM
i just bought a 1/4" auger bit from highland hardware for around $10.

Johnny Kleso
12-14-2008, 11:57 PM
I think an Old Set like Jennings would be better or an Irwin set little lesser in quality would be less expenise..

I dont use my brace a whole lot for drilling but I do have a Jennings set..

They are much more less expensive than a new set and fine sets can be had most any week at eBay

Dewey Torres
12-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Hold the press with these expensive sets.

If you like them... by all means go for it but I just loaned my standard Irwin from the BORG as suggested above to my friend Pat Germain and he cut the all the dog holes to his bench with it no problems.

I guess if you plan on using them tons you should go with the high quality ones but I think that is for the extreme minority of woodworkers. I say this because there are SOOOOOO many things in WW to suck up your money. Just save where you can when you can as long as it doesn't mean going so cheap you have to re-buy in the future.

Rob Luter
12-18-2008, 8:13 AM
Keep your eyes open on the bay and in flea markets/antique stores. I scored this set of Swann bits on the bay for $35.00. I see individual bits all the time for a couple bucks a piece. Perhaps you could just pick up the sizes you need one at a time. I got the set because it was a good deal, but in reality all I needed was a 3/4" to drill dog holes.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=94611

Randy Klein
12-18-2008, 8:35 AM
If only I could afford them! That's why I was asking whether anyone had tried the LV -- $75 for a set.

I heard from Joel that he will be offering some NOS soon. So you may want to hold off a "bit":D.

Joel Goodman
12-18-2008, 9:43 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Rob I covet that boxed set!

Rob Luter
12-18-2008, 9:51 AM
It was a sweet deal for sure :D