PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector bottom bag....

Jim Fox
12-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Until I can get a Cyclone (hoping in the next 6 months).......what options do I have for the bottom bags on my 2hp shop fox DC? I just get tired of fighting with the stupid band. Maybe I just need to get some magnets to act as extra hands while I am fighting the bag.

glenn bradley
12-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I kinda roll mine around the band. This seems to keep it in place for the moment or two it takes to flip the latch. Magnets have been used by others who have posted here. I have threatened to stitch my band into a "tube" of bag material; it currently has the belt loops. My bottom bag really just holds a plastic yard bag now that I put a bigger AFF filter on top so even with the tube I will still have to mess with the plastic bag. *** sigh ***

Jim Fox
12-13-2008, 2:20 PM
There has to be a better way of dealing with these *** **** **** ** *** ******* *** bags for a DC. Originally I had two filter bags on this machine.....top and bottom. Pain was fighting the band around the whole thing. It was nicer than a trash bag cause the band was in the channel sew'n into the bag. I pulled the band out and just went with a bottom garbage bag. Why? Guess I wanted something even more of a **** ** *** *** than the fiber bag. Now I am fed up with the trash bag, but can't get the band back thru the filter bag.

ONE *** **** THING AFTER ANOTHER!

Jason Beam
12-13-2008, 4:49 PM
mine goes up on the inside - Jet DC1100 ... there's a hoop wrapped in fabric that you have to cajole the bag around then try to cram one side of the hoop into the DC ring without losing the wrapped-around-plastic-bag. At this point you have to bend the hoop inward (like a kidney bean shape) so that the rest of the hoop can make it into the DC ring - all the while not losing that wrapped-around-bag. I tried tape, no love. Magnets would help if I used two to "pinch" the wrapped-around-the-hoop-plastic. It'd take 3 or 4 of 'em but then the magnets are stuck there (at least half of 'em would be stuck inside the bag ... me no like that eitehr. Gah!

I'm very very seriously considering a 55 galon drum and a "tube" of plastic between them fastened on the outside of the DC ring and the outside of the drum. I could even duct tape the heck out of the upper connection and just use a big hose clamp to secure the barrel side - gravity would surely be on my side at that point. Magnets would help considerably, too. Yep - i think i need another barrel.

Bruce Wrenn
12-13-2008, 8:43 PM
Until I can get a Cyclone (hoping in the next 6 months).......what options do I have for the bottom bags on my 2hp shop fox DC? I just get tired of fighting with the stupid band. Maybe I just need to get some magnets to act as extra hands while I am fighting the bag.Jim, build yourself a Phil Thein Baffle separator. Mine captures over 95% on the stuff before it gets to my cyclone. It can be seen over at NCWoodworker, in the Workshops forums. Inlet, and outlet are 4" schedule 20 PVC sewer pipe. Title is "Another Vote for Phil Thein's Baffle." It's a heck of a lot easier for me to just remove the baffle, and put the lid on garbage can, than to empty can under cyclone. With baffle, you probably wont empty lower bag twice a year.

Mike Langford
12-13-2008, 11:04 PM
I bought a large roll of Velcro with the sticky on both pieces......stuck about a six inch strip (hooks) on the left side and another on the back side of the metal lip on the collector where the bag fits around......then put (sewed) the other pieces (loops) inside the bags lip.....

Now after I empty the bag I slide the bag up onto the lip first attaching the left side then the back.....then while the bag is held in place I can fumble and fight and cuss with the band and the belt loops and align everything up without the backside of the bag popping off about time I get the front on....

It's still a PITA but better that before! ;)

HTH