PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on setting up grinding station

Derek Hansen
12-13-2008, 10:35 AM
I have the WC 8" slow speed grinder, and am planning on mounting it to a piece of 3/4" plywood and installing the PSI grinding jig.

My question is should I remove the rubber feet from the bottom of the grinder before I bolt it down? Should I put something else between the grinder and the plywood?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Derek - I have the same grinder and removed the feet before bolting it to the stand that I made. I have the Wolverine system and it has to be a fixed height between the grinding wheel and system. Also, removed the feet to help eliminate any additional vibration.

Derek Hansen
12-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Derek - I have the same grinder and removed the feet before bolting it to the stand that I made. I have the Wolverine system and it has to be a fixed height between the grinding wheel and system. Also, removed the feet to help eliminate any additional vibration.

Thanks Steve - I was going to raise the grinder up 1.5" off the table surface. I'm picking up my new lathe later today and I want to be ready for it!

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Looking forward to the photos!!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Steve is spot on Derek. Take the rubber feet out. Congrats on the new tools and lathe. Let's see some photo's of your setup when you get it.

Dean Thomas
12-13-2008, 3:28 PM
Yes, remove the feet, but don't raise it up an arbitrary amount (sheer presumption on my part here, okay?? Oh yeah, Steve already alluded to that, eh?).

Read the instructions and make sure that you provide the correct space required by the sharpening unit you'll be using. If I remember correctly, Oneway wants a specific distance from the center of the spindle to the top of the board on which you'll mount the jigs. And that's going to be different for each model of grinder, totally dependent on the height of the base of the grinder.