PDA

View Full Version : This gloat's for you!!

John Keeton
12-13-2008, 9:22 AM
Couple of days ago I posted a thread entitled "Standing dead walnut - safe lumber source (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98716)? " The consensus was overwhelming that I should check out this deal. I really dreaded the 100 mi. trip with a trailer, especially knowing that it may not pan out. But, my wife agreed that the "creek" knew best!

So, I went. The guy had told me on the phone that he had "about 2,000 feet." And he told me it wasn't graded and that he didn't know much about that sort of thing - but that there was some good - and some not so good.

Well, there was only about 620' according to the best I could figure, and he was right about not knowing anything about grading. The pile was well stacked, and probably 70% clear, with 2 or 3 boards with a little sapwood - very few knots anywhere. The short cutoff is pretty representative of the lot.

Most is 1 1/8", and some is 1 7/8". He told me it had been cut for about 6 months and I haven't checked the moisture level yet. But from the feel of the wood and the weight - I am guessing 10-12%.

We settled on $525! The worst part - most of it was 12' long and we had to cut in to get it in my trailer. The part in the truck bed are the cutoffs.

Coming back, with a less than ideal weight distribution in the trailer was a little hairy, but all in all, not so bad. I would not have made this trip, but for the encouragement of you guys - so thanks!!:D:D:D

John Dykes
12-13-2008, 9:33 AM
I'm very jealous...

About a year ago, I had 100 bd ft of 4/4 shipped from Wall Lumber. Cost me more than what you paid...

/sigh

What a haul. Just... wow....

- jbd in treeless Denver

Thomas Knighton
12-13-2008, 9:33 AM
You suck :p

Very nice haul you've got there. I'm truly jealous!

Tom

Jim Becker
12-13-2008, 9:51 AM
Wowsa!! Major gloatation warranted!

Victor Stearns
12-13-2008, 10:00 AM
200 miles of driving for a chance at wood ???
200 miles of driving with a trailer and truck of wood at barging basement pricing, PRICELESS!!!!

Congrats
Victor

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2008, 10:58 AM
John,

I couldn't make that kind of a haul regardless of the price within a 300 mile radius of where I live.

Congrats!

That almost rates as a felony steal!:rolleyes:

Russ Massery
12-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Major gloat . Did have to pay extra for the white stuff on it?:D That's great price my lumber guy get 3.25b/f for walnut. And I find him cheap.

John Schreiber
12-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Wow. That's the gloat of the year. Maybe some luck will come my way next.

John Keeton
12-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Just took a break from getting this stuff stickered in the barn loft - and here is the icing on the cake. There is more there than I thought!

There is about 575' on the trailer alone, and another 100' on the truck - TOTAL 675'! My gas was about $25 so the total cost was $550 - or $.81/ft.

When we negotiated, we dealt in a total amount - whatever was there in footage. So, I don't feel like I took advantage of him. He thought he had a lot more in board feet than was there to begin with.

The hard part about getting this stuff stickered is hefting those 11" - 13" wide clear walnut boards to the loft:D:D:D Just had to gloat one last time!

John Schreiber
12-13-2008, 12:31 PM
The hard part about getting this stuff stickered is hefting those 11" - 13" wide clear walnut boards to the loft.
You so suck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scot Ferraro
12-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Congrats....that is an awesome hall. What are you going to make first?

Scot

Phil Thien
12-13-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm afraid we're all going to be seeing this gloat for a long time as we see future posts of, "I made this with my .81/bf walnut." :D

Nice going!

John Keeton
12-13-2008, 2:08 PM
Congrats....that is an awesome hall. What are you going to make first?

Scot
Scot, unfortunately, this wood will need to "cook" awhile. I finally put a meter on it, and it isn't as dry as I thought - 14%. I will leave it in the loft for another year or so.

But, I have been hoarding wood for a good while, so I still have about 350" of walnut and 200' of QSWO that is good and dry, along with some maple, a little mahogany, some ash and chestnut.

I want to build a secretary style hutch - kind of a hybrid design - principally from walnut with QSWO panels, etc. I have been "ciphering" through the design for a bit trying to balance the look of the two woods. I have a set of very old hand turned walnut legs that came from an old table I bought at an auction years ago. Since I don't turn, I keep an eye out for old tables that are cheap, but have good solid legs. I will use those to incorporate into this piece.

And Phil, this next project will be with $.75/ft wood - both the walnut and QSWO!! But, that source ran out :( so I have had to broaden my search!

Andy Casiello
12-13-2008, 2:45 PM
Wow, nice haul! That's fantastic! I just spent about $ 150 on 30 bf of walnut and hard maple.. Yeesh.. :confused:

Jacob Mac
12-13-2008, 3:02 PM
Wow, what a haul. WTG

Radek Kowalski
12-13-2008, 4:11 PM
WOAH thats SO NICE!!! I have been looking for a place to get it cheaper then 5.## a board foot for 4/4, 3 is the best I have founf for 100ft...

Larry Edgerton
12-13-2008, 4:24 PM
I would suggest now is a proper time for you to go pick up a lottery ticket. :)

Jeff Mohr
12-13-2008, 5:02 PM
So...how much to you charge to deliver stuff like that? Heck, I'll pay double what you did..... ;)

John Keeton
12-13-2008, 5:16 PM
You guys are quoting prices for kiln dried stuff. Keep in mind that this is green wood, so it can be had much cheaper. I am fortunate enough to have storage in the barn to let it dry, and blessed to be in KY where there are a lot of small operations. The guy that had this wood is a farmer that has a portable sawmill and cleans up blown down trees for farmers on shares, etc. You just have to have the patience to look for the deals, and take it when you can get it.

I am finding, though, that the economic downturn is having the opposite effect than I expected. Some of my eastern mountain sources for fresh sawn wood just aren't cutting anything because they can't sell it to their normal sources - so the wood just isn't available regardless of price. One place told me they presell everything they cut to a flooring company, but won't cut it until they have an order because business is so slow. I really thought that prices would be cheap and wood available, but that isn't the case.

Don Bullock
12-14-2008, 10:22 AM
John, you're always kidding me about California. How'd you like to come out for a visit with that load of walnut after it dries?;):D

Wow, now that's what I call a GLOAT!:eek:

But, my wife agreed that the "creek" knew best!

Fortunately my wife thinks the same way. That's why I have about half the tools I have now.:p