PDA

View Full Version : Display Case Built-In

Russell Tribby
12-13-2008, 8:45 AM
I just finished this up this week. Sorry about the poor quality of the pics. I was using a different camera and it is really sensitive to movement. The doors have a black mesh on them so that a remote can still be used to access the dvd player/stereo components. The drawers are dovetailed and have Hettich soft-close undermounts. The shelves are 1/4" glass that sit in rabbeted frames. The crown was milled using the Freud crown bit system....not sure if I'll do that again. Critiques/criticism is always welcome. I'm a high school teacher and do this on the side to keep our family going so I'm always eager to hear from pros/people who do this stuff for a living.

Rob Cunningham
12-13-2008, 8:53 AM
Russell,
It looks very good. Is this the project you were having trouble staining? I think color came out very nice. I'm sure the homeowners are happy.

Russell Tribby
12-13-2008, 8:58 AM
Russell,
It looks very good. Is this the project you were having trouble staining? I think color came out very nice. I'm sure the homeowners are happy.

Rob, you've got a good memory. This is the project I was having trouble with. The color did come out okay. I had to redo the uppers one time but other than that it went well. I found that the watered down version of USL as a sealer coat didn't take the stain as well as a wash coat of shellac so I'll be sticking with the shellac. Thanks for the complements and advice.

Ed Bamba
12-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Russell,
Did you have to remove the carpet before installing it? If so, how did you go about it. I have a similar situation in my living room.

Jim Pinette
12-13-2008, 1:25 PM
i dont see how the tv fits in it

Russell Tribby
12-13-2008, 2:59 PM
Russell,
Did you have to remove the carpet before installing it? If so, how did you go about it. I have a similar situation in my living room.

Ididn't have to remove any carpet. It's just a couple of boxes sitting on top of the carpet with the base board and faceframe scribed to fit.

Russell Tribby
12-13-2008, 3:00 PM
i dont see how the tv fits in it

It's not meant for a TV, it's a display case. I'm not sure what she plans on putting on the glass shelves but she wanted to keep the TV above the fireplace.

John Thompson
12-13-2008, 3:11 PM
Nice job.. Russell. If you look at the picture closely.. it is kind of obvious the TV mounts on the wall above the fireplace. Life is simple.. :)

Sarge..