PDA

View Full Version : Segmented turning...gouge or scraper?

Jim Swift
12-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Greetings from Indiana

Just getting started in segmented turning and looking for advice on how you segmented experts turn the inside of your bowls. Do you use a bowl gouge or do you use a scraper?

I seem to work better with a scraper IF I don't get a catch but it takes considerably longer.

Also do you use a glue block(what type of wood) or do you cut tenon with chuck? Does screwed to faceplate work best? I have tried a glueblock w/ chuck and everytime sent the bowl flying. Have used the tenon w/chuck and same result. Seem to get catches on the bottom third of the bowl whether I use a gouge or scraper.

Any suggestions for a frustrated newbe turner?

Thanks

Jim Swift

Malcolm Tibbetts
12-13-2008, 1:27 AM
Jim, except for quite small stuff, I usually use a hardwood waste block screwed to a faceplate. For turning (inside or out), my most used tool is a 1/2" bowl gouge. Although, I often use a scraper in a shear-scrape position for creating finished surfaces.

Dahl Troy Perry
12-13-2008, 5:16 PM
Where in Indiana are you? I'm in Kokomo.:D

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2008, 7:15 PM
The two segmented bowls I did I used a bowl gouge. I used a scraper to finish. I would think a scraper inside or outside of a segmented piece would be a recipe for disaster. Not a expert but just judging by the way the bowl gouge can bounce around.

Richard Madison
12-13-2008, 7:29 PM
Ditto what they said. Sometimes a hardwood waste block in a chuck. Turning inside, bowl gouge, homemade boring bar w/ 3/16" tool bit, and homemade bar with Hunter bit (used in a somewhat shear scrape orientation) for smoothing tool marks from boring bar tool.