PDA

View Full Version : Ebony & Black Dyed Veneer Sources

Jim Swift
12-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Trying to find a reasonable source for veneer to add to segmented turnings. Any segmenters care to share their source? I have searched but to no avail.

Thanks

Jim Swift

Tim Boger
12-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Hey Jim .... try my friend Big Rob, he has always done a good job helping me.

Tim

Rob ........ @ (figuredwoods@yahoo.com)

Don Robert
12-12-2008, 11:37 PM
I think I bought mine at a Rockler store, although I don't see it at their web site.

Dewey Torres
12-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Warning... I am not a turner...but

I do know veneer pretty well as I used it for Inlay and Marquetry:

I buy my dyed veneer from the below depending on pricing and if they have what I am looking for.

http://www.constantines.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=169

At a minimum worth a look.

Dewey Torres
12-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Also, turners may pipe up here but real ebony is hard and brittle. If you are using it for veneer work you are probably going to be better off with dyed maple.

Tom Giacomo
12-13-2008, 12:32 AM
I have been using ebonized walnut, it comes out very black and is realitively inexpensive.

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2008, 12:39 PM
I also use ebonized walnut. I tried a long time ago to resaw some ebony veener and it is the pits. Even at 1/8" in breaks so easy and grumbles. So I resaw walnut and ebonize it.

Montgomery Scott
12-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I get my black dyed costello from B&B rare woods for about $3 sq ft. I don't think you're going to find much in the way of gabon ebony veneer. Macassar ebony, yes, but it's not often pure black. I use macassar ebony and gabon ebony for segmented turning projects fairly often, but not in anything less than 1/4" thick.