PDA

View Full Version : So what do you use as a finish on pens

Jim Ketron
06-12-2004, 2:30 PM
Hello everyone What do you use to put a finish on your pens? I need some pointers on what to get to start turning pens I thought of buying this starter set from PSI. I also have a $10.00 coupon Off Order of $50.00 or more
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv? Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=PKSTART1F&Category_Code=PSS
should I get the EEE also for a final sanding? or is this set a waste of $

Jim

Dick Parr
06-12-2004, 3:31 PM
Jim, I use 150-600 grit sandpaper and then 4 coats of Mylands friction polish. It does a great job. :)

Can't help ya with the starter set, never got one. :confused:

Jim Ketron
06-12-2004, 3:36 PM
Jim, I use 150-600 grit sandpaper and then 4 coats of Mylands friction polish. It does a great job. :)

Can't help ya with the starter set, never got one. :confused:
Dick
Where do you get your Mylands friction polish at?
Thanks for your reply
Jim

Dick Parr
06-12-2004, 3:39 PM
I get mine at Woodcrafts. It seems to be on sale most of the time for around $14.95 a bottle. You can put on 4 coats in less then 5 min.

Christopher Pine
06-12-2004, 3:52 PM
I have used teh friction polish and it does work good . I bought a set of micro mesh pads that go all the way up to 12000 I think it starts at 1500. I sand to 600 them switch to micro mesh.. a lot of time this looks allmost like the pen is allready finished... Just this last couple of months I have started using a ca(superglue) finish.. there are about as many ways to do this as there are penturners. I just use a folded up piece of papertowel and with lathe off put it on the blank then turn on lathe spread the glue over the blank with the pad. It will activate itself from this action.. I then will after I apply as many couts I feel is sufficient sand it down and then go through the micr mesh once again. On top of this I use renaisance wax.
This finish I am told is very strong and lasts and lasts.
I have yet to see as I have just started doing this.
Best of luck.
Chris

Harry Pye
06-12-2004, 7:01 PM
I follow a process similar to Chris' but after sanding/polishing the CA coated blank out to 12,000 MicroMesh, I put on several coats of friction polish.

I use a folded paper towel put on the friction polish. Once the friction polish is nearly dry, I wrap the paper towel around the work in a "U" shape with my thumb an forefinger on the sides of the "U" then squeeze until you can feel the heat in your fingers. Move the paper towel from end to end as you get the friction polish hot. The result is a brilliant shine. I then finish with a micro-crystaline wax.

If the friction polish wears off, the CA will get a nice patina from the user's fingers.