PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Center problems....

Greg Cuetara
12-12-2008, 7:48 PM
A few years back I decided to get into woodworking and I needed an entertainment center. I found a set of plans from popular science, bought an old craftsman TS and set out on my task.

Here is a picture of what I came up with. I have 2 drawers below the shelf right now and I am going to be adding 2 more for dvd's. Then above the shelf are the electronics.

I always had the intention of adding a door to the front and now is the time. The problem I have right now is that if I add a door to the front I don't know how to deal with the very top shelf piece of plywood. Right now the edge of plywood is exposed and it should have been cut back to allow a door but it is not.

There is a closeup showing the exposed plywood edge. I was thinking I could cut back the plywood back 3/4" somehow but don't know how to do it without ruining the rest of the piece. Even if I could get it cut back 1/4" i could just rabbit the top of the door. I am going to have to rabbit the bottom of the door anyways because I have a similar situation but the plywood there is cut back about 1/2".

The other option is to use some oak plywood edge banding on the piece already in place then cut the door to be right below this shelf.

Any ideas on how to fix this and not make it look funny?

thanks,
Greg

Kelly C. Hanna
12-12-2008, 7:51 PM
Put a small strip on the front of the shelf first, then add on to the front upright trim on both sides for the door...you won't have to cut a thing on the shelf itself.

Joe Scharle
12-12-2008, 9:41 PM
Full overlay doors will fit nicely and make use of the top shelf as door stops.

Chip Lindley
12-13-2008, 5:53 AM
I enjoy your frame/panel cabinet sides of thick 6/4 stock (looks like) Would be a shame to hide that behind full overlay doors. That is the one design element of this piece. Inset raised panel doors would look nice on this piece. make the doors to cover that top shelf after you trim it back. You might consider doing same to the center shelf, and making the doors tall enough to cover both shelf faces.

A trim router with offset base can be used to get rid of the front edge of the shelf to the depth you choose. Use a piloted bit run along a straight edge for good results. This will get you within an inch of the side stiles. You will have to judiciously saw or pare the ends off at the stiles. There is a great little flush cutting backsaw that works great for this. http://cgi.ebay.com/Reversible-Handle-Offset-Saw-Hirsch-Brand-W.-Germany_W0QQitemZ110324069504QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ 20081210?IMSfp=TL081210139001r5371

An oak veneer strip can be glued on to face the plywood.
Just an idea! Good Luck!

Greg Cuetara
12-14-2008, 2:22 PM
Chip,
i think that is exactly what I am trying to do. I would like an inset door but not sure how to trim back the top shelf. I do not have a trim router so that is out of the question. I was thinking of using a trim saw to get most of the way and then using a hand saw very carefully to finish the rest. Guess it will just take time.
Greg

Chip Lindley
12-15-2008, 3:12 AM
LightBulb!!! Have you thought about trying to remove the top shelf? Test your joinery and see how well it is glued together!

If you can remove the shelf by whacking the joint loose with a few judicious mallet blows to a wood block, you can perform your surgery! Score the joints of shelf and side on top and bottom with a utility knife to help get a clean separation line.

The sides should have enough *spring to be spread and the piece assembled back together again. Hmmm....what do you have to lose? The sides should survive. If you must make a new shelf piece, this is what you intend to do in the first place!

Short of disassembly, any router will help remove most of the stock you want gone. The ends that the router bit cannot reach can be sawed off with the flush cutting handsaw I mentioned.

I advise against a power circ. saw, unless that is all you hope to have available. But if you must, use a straight edge guide with the saw, and cover the shelf top with 1/8 hardboard to prevent much of the up-splintering from a circular saw.

Greg Cuetara
12-15-2008, 8:02 AM
Chip,
I took a look at that last night and tried to 'gently' break it apart. The back is just screwed on so that I can take it off if need be so that might make things much easier. Maybe I will take your advice with a few mallet blows it will come off once i score the dado the shelf is in. Then i could always make it a solid piece of oak rather than plywood if that doesn't work.
Good thought thanks.
Greg