PDA

View Full Version : Belt Sander with Sanding frame or hold out for a drum sander?

Ryan Eldridge
12-12-2008, 5:52 PM
Hi there all,

I am wondering what might be best for me to look at getting for my small garage shop. I want the ability to flatten panels every once in awhile and have been looking at maybe getting a belt sander with a sanding frame to do this.

The average cost for this unless I am missing something is at least $215.

My question is should I just wait and save up some more money and maybe get a drum sander or what are people's thoughts?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Gene E Miller
12-12-2008, 6:12 PM
Greetings & Salutations,

IMHO I would hold out for a drum sander. I managed to get
a great deal on a 16-32 last summer off eBay for less than
$500 which included shipping.

Search around on eBay and Craigslist and you might find
a good bargin. Mine was like new except that one part
was damaged in shipping and the seller paid to have
that replaced.

I do not regret for a second getting it. I have used it
to flatten large panels that would not have been possible
to run thru my planer or jointer.

Keep looking you will not regret it.

Gene

Dewey Torres
12-12-2008, 6:16 PM
Well here is my recommendation:

Since you don't have a belt sander yet, go ahead and get one as you need one anyway.

My guess though, is once you try this with a belt sander you will see just how difficult it is to prevent over sanding and to keep things flat and square even with that frame attached.

Belt sanders are very aggressive and it may just be my unsteady technique, but I am not good enough with one to trust it for flattening like you describe.

I am a little biased as I have a 16/32 DS and for me the thing is an absolute dream. Others swear by it for frames and flattening but I have thus far only used mine for inlay and veneer work. Once set up correctly it is dead accurate and takes all the guesswork out when compared to a handheld belt sander.

Chris Padilla
12-12-2008, 6:32 PM
I picked up a used Delta 18-36 DS recently and after killing a Saturday cleaning it up and adjusting it, I have to say that it is sanding my resawn veneers down to 1/16" very very nicely.

The key with a DS is patience and to go slowly and take off very little per pass. It is not a thicknesser.

Also, good high-flow dust collection is highly recommended with a power sander of any kind.

Keep on eye on your local craigslist...that is where I found mine.

Tony Bilello
12-12-2008, 7:28 PM
You wont be disappointed.

Frank Martin
12-12-2008, 7:54 PM
I got this sander when I had a very small shop (11x21) with no space for a drum sander. I have been pretty happy with this system for panel sanding with the exception of dust collection efficiency. When hooked up to a good vacuum it collects most of the dust but some still escape requiring me to wear a respirator.

Now I have a larger shop (19x19) and I still don't think I will get a drum sander just for the panels. However, if I decide on doing resawing and veneer sanding, then I would get a drum sander for that.

Chip Lindley
12-12-2008, 8:22 PM
Your choice between belt sander w/frame and a heavier drum sander will depend on the accuracy you demand of your own work, and the amount of work you wish to put into trying to flatten panels.

The hand held BS w/f is light years ahead of just a BS. The frame does keep from tipping and gouging the work. But at the same time, an even thickness is very hard to achieve because the sander must be kept moving over the panel. Dwelling on any one spot will make inconsistencies which may frustrate you more than please you.

A DS, even a small one, is light years ahead of any belt sander/frame setup. Once you have witnessed the difference in results between the two, the DS will be the Winnah! Hands Down!

Rick Fisher
12-12-2008, 8:22 PM
I have the DeWalt 3x21 Belt sander with the Elu style sanding frame. Its no drum sander.

I used it to refinish a kitchen table for my sister recently. Its a great add-on for such a job.

The kitchen table would never have fit inside my drum sander. :) Especially with the legs still installed.

I think they are different animals. You need a belt sander anyway. Get one with a frame. There will be that once in a while when you find the frame a great add-on.

A drum sander is a great tool as well... Heck, get both. :)

Travis Porter
12-12-2008, 9:49 PM
I have had both and in retrospect knowing where you are I would recommend buying a Lie Nielsen number 5 hand plane.

Ryan Eldridge
12-13-2008, 8:29 AM
Well I think I will have to keep watching craigslist and wait for a drum sander to come down the pipe. I thought I would see more with the way things are getting listed but have not seen anything in the last couple of months.

Also I think I will keep watching for a belt sander I can put a sanding frame on ...

Thanks for the help, I will start reading more on the recommended types of drum sanders...

Frank Drew
12-13-2008, 9:46 AM
My guess though, is once you try this with a belt sander you will see just how difficult it is to prevent over sanding and to keep things flat and square even with that frame attached.

My experience was different; my planer could only handle 16", but careful stock prep, careful glueup to get the panel as even as possible, and then a light touch with a belt sander w/ sanding frame worked well for me. Very occasionally I'd have to bring a panel over to a local millwork to be sanded down, but mostly I got good results on my own.

Which is not to say that a drum sander wouldn't have been nice, but you can do a lot of work with a somewhat lower-tech approach.