PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the family

Dan Hintz
12-12-2008, 4:39 PM
With some upcoming projects (and clients) that required accuracy and repeatability, I decided it was finally time to make an addition to the family. I just placed a deposit on a ULS PLS4.75 w/60W cartridge, rotary, and air-assist.

I guess I really need to finish remodeling my workshop now!

Mike Mackenzie
12-12-2008, 5:31 PM
Dan,

Congratulations! I am glad you were able to work out a deal with Vince. He is a top notch rep.

Dan Hintz
12-12-2008, 9:34 PM
Actually, I'm working with Paul at CEI (mid-Atlantic)... I think Vince was New England?

Keith Outten
12-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Interesting choice Dan but I'm not surprised since Universal Lasers are getting a lot of good reviews here these days.

Good luck with your new machine and don't forget to share your comments once you have had the time to put it through its paces.

Margaret Turco
12-13-2008, 4:47 AM
Congratulations Dan! How big is the work area on that machine?

Dan Hintz
12-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Margaret... 24"x18", with a pass-through on the front.

Keith, it was an end-of-year special (demo unit). Considering all of the options included (and the nice bed size), I felt the price made it a good deal. There were a few points that pushed me towards ULS vs. Epilog (the two major competitors, though there were a couple of others in contention).

First, I like the ULS chuck-style rotary compared to Epilog's wheels with O-rings. Second, Epilog's encoder strip, while offering the possibility of higher repeatable accuracy, appears to have a higher incidence of "gunking up" over time compared to a machine without an encoder, causing mistakes right in the middle of major projects.

I actually intended to write up a more in-depth review after I've had some time with the machine. I must say it's difficult walking through craft stores, dollar stores, frame shops, etc. without getting the wheels turning these days. Having a larger bed and rotary to work with opens up some real possibilities for me :)

Dan Hintz
12-16-2008, 9:07 AM
Scheduled for delivery the Monday (22nd) before Christmas :) Unfortunately, the new computer ordered specifically for controlling it isn't due in until the 24th. Meh, I suppose that gives me a few more days to get the workshop ready :)

Dan Hintz
01-05-2009, 4:31 PM
Delivery date was pushed off a bit longer than originally intended (it was delivered and set up earlier today), but it gave me an opportunity to get more finished in the basement remodel. Paul was kind enough to measure the cartridge's output power before delivery and it was dipping below 60W (I believe he told me once it was at 54W, just within ULS's 10% comfort range), so he asked if I would mind him ordering a new cartridge before trucking it over to me. A week later the new cartridge arrives and measured in at 73W, so I'm glad I didn't get impatient :D In the coming weeks I'll provide more in-depth posts on my opinion of the machine, but for now I have to take it for a spin and get used to the beast.

Phil Garcia
01-05-2009, 4:40 PM
Congratulations Dan, I am sure we would all like to see some pics of any new work you do with your new addition.:D