PDA

View Full Version : first lasertile

Margaret Turco
12-12-2008, 4:12 PM
Hi everybody! This is my first lasertile 4.25" square. I don't have photograv but I think it came out ok. If I got the trivets with the wooden frames, how much would I charge for this? I don't really like the exposed edges of the tile very much. Do you think the doggy daycare people would go for this and do any of you already do this as a regular thing? Thank you for your feedback!

John W. Love
12-12-2008, 6:57 PM
Hi Margaret, That looks great! A while back I was thinking about doing something along these lines. If you were to place a sample in your vet's office with order information, you could easily get $20 each and especially if you made a $5 donation going to SPCA or a dog rescue center with each one sold, it serves a 2 fold process. One it sells tiles and two it allows you to help out the animals in need. (ok, I am a dog lover) You may even be able to get more than $20. Most vets would be happy to let you place a sample in their office if you are making a donation to a worthy pet cause. Just a thought. Good Luck and keep us posted as to how it goes for you.

Lee DeRaud
12-12-2008, 7:29 PM
I bought some of the frames for use in Xmas gifts, and am somewhat underwhelmed by the quality. Next batch I'm going to buy unfinished so I can clean them up a bit, maybe bevel the edges, but that just adds more labor to the equation.

And if you want to sell them, you've got over $6 invested in materials before you even do any photo twiddling, much less turn on the laser. Maybe it's just me, but when I hear the word "coaster", I'm thinking in terms of $20 for a set of four, not one.

Dee Gallo
12-12-2008, 7:49 PM
Nice job, Margaret! You might also like to approach your local dog show people - they love to buy trinkets commemorating wins, making Champion, dog clubs, breed clubs, rescue groups, etc.

ps- Lee: where did you hear "coaster"? I read "trivet", which can run in the $10-$20 range for mass produced ones. Custom/special interest should be worth that and more.

Good luck with it!

cheers, dee

Pete Simmons
12-12-2008, 8:08 PM
Get the frames from ColoradoHeirloom very nice quality.

Lee DeRaud
12-12-2008, 8:18 PM
ps- Lee: where did you hear "coaster"? I read "trivet", which can run in the $10-$20 range for mass produced ones. Custom/special interest should be worth that and more.Well, Margaret's post talks about a 4.25" tile: that's a "coaster" where I come from. FWIW, the "trivet" frames are identical to the "coaster" frames, just sized for 6" or 8" tiles. And I agree the economics work better on the larger sizes.

Dee Gallo
12-12-2008, 10:59 PM
I see, said the blind man. So, once you add the frame, does it become a 6" trivet or stay a coaster? :) I always thought of coasters as being more like 3", but that's me. You're right, the perceived value of a coaster is better in a set of 4.

Lee DeRaud
12-13-2008, 1:50 AM
I see, said the blind man. So, once you add the frame, does it become a 6" trivet or stay a coaster? :) I have no idea why they even bothered with the 6" size. 6" is too big for a coaster and too small for a trivet...8" works pretty well though, as a few friends of mine are about to find out. :p

The frames are just 3/8"x1/2" rectangular stock with a piece of thin MDF supporting the tile so it sits about halfway buried in the frame. What you end up with is a trivet 8-3/4" square and about 5/8" thick.

Margaret Turco
12-13-2008, 4:41 AM
Thanks for your replies and positive remarks on the tile! This gives me a ballpark for pricing these at least. Lee, are you referring to the quality of the Colorado Heirloom frames? They have these on sale right now so I ordered a few of the small ones to make up some samples. I think people would probably prefer the larger tile though as you suggest if they're actually going to use it as a trivet.

Lee DeRaud
12-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Lee, are you referring to the quality of the Colorado Heirloom frames? They have these on sale right now so I ordered a few of the small ones to make up some samples.No, I got some of the 4.25" and 8" from Lasertile.

The ones from CH look nicer (as near as I can tell from the small picture anyway), but it doesn't look like they have any for 8" tiles. Need to see what the pricing is on those, too.

John Frazee
12-13-2008, 10:55 AM
I bought some of the frames for use in Xmas gifts, and am somewhat underwhelmed by the quality. Next batch I'm going to buy unfinished so I can clean them up a bit, maybe bevel the edges, but that just adds more labor to the equation.

Just a thought..... I do sublimation and have bought boxes and other things that tiles fit in. You may want to see if some of those suppliers have better quality than you have received. There is a forum called dssi.org that you could possibly get some info on.

Phil Garcia
12-16-2008, 11:29 AM
It looks really great! I sell a lot of tiles and just this weekend I was setup at a craft show/outdoor market. I sold my tiles at $10 dollars for the 4x4, $15 for 8", and $25 for 12", these prices are for images that do not take up the entire tile just images that are centered and take up about 40% of the space. I charge up to $45 for the 12" tiles that have in image that takes up most of the tile. I also color fill some of them. I hope this helps.

Margaret Turco
12-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Phil, Thanks for your input! Are those prices for stock images, or from customer supplied photos?

Phil Garcia
12-16-2008, 3:27 PM
Stock, however for customer supplied images I normally do not charge a setup for tiles unless it is an image that might take a lot of time to set up. I have found that most of my customers would not pay an extra $25 or $50 for that type of product. At the arts and crafts shows many of the customers order my 4" tiles to be part of their product,i.e. ..an insert for a lid/top of a jewelery box or sewing box. I would rather have the repeat customer and make more sales down the road than just the one time sale. That way they normally spread the word about my services to their family and friends. :D

Roy Nicholson
12-17-2008, 5:40 AM
Joh can you give me the url for dssi.org

I get nowhere with it.

Regards

Roy N.

Peter Meacham
12-17-2008, 9:17 AM
Hope I am OK posting this here. Dye Sublimation and Specialty Imprinting (DSSI) forum is accessable via

http://www.dyesub.org/

It looks to have information that we (engravers) can use.

Pete

Jay Beller
12-18-2008, 4:02 PM
Another good source of supplies is National Artcraft. http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subcategory.asp?gid=12&cid=277&scid=170

I get wooden frames for the 6x6 lasertile or marble tile. Also get cardboard frame backs, with legs - these can be glued to tiles using E6000.

And anyone interested in creating laser engraved nightlights, this place has all the nightlight supplies. You just cut and engrave the acrylic (clear, colored or mirror) and use E6000 to glue it on.

Anyone browsing their store may find themselves buying lots of little craft items to see how they engrave or to augment their engravings. Sorry if it turns into an expensive visit:)

John W. Love
12-18-2008, 7:43 PM
Gee thanks Jay, my wife saw this site and I think we are cancelling Christmas to pay for all the new goodies we will be lasering. Ok, Im not near as disapointed as the kids are lol.

Phil Garcia
12-19-2008, 1:00 PM
John you are right, Jay... that website is great. I can not believe that someone had not mention it before. I think you let the cat out of the bag....:D. Thanks for sharing the info., it has some great products which I will order TODAY!!!!... THERE GOES THE CHRISTMAS MONEY FOR MY NEW WINDMILL:D

Jay Beller
12-19-2008, 2:28 PM
And one of the best products I discovered there was E6000 glue. You can find it elsewhere too.

E6000 is great for any projects where you're joining materials. A little bit on each piece; let sit for a few minutes; then join them; let cure for 24 hours.

Good for tiles on wood or cardboard. Acrylic on plastic. Metal on metal.

Unfortunately, once the spouse finds out about it, you'll probably need a second tube.;)