PDA

View Full Version : Workbench/Router table

James Reichman
12-12-2008, 1:21 PM
I just built a bench similar to the one Norm built. Just changed the dimensions a little. I have a small shop (20x20). I was thinking of maybe incorporating the router with a lift into it. Maybe a cabinet inside the frame. With the big router and a nice thick top say 2". A fence similar to norms but something I could just unscrew from the table , lower the router below the table and throw a piece of melamine on top to work on. I'm thinking the whole thing would be on casters. It would also do some out feed and stack work for me. I have the Hoffman dovetail machine (benchtop model). So most of my doors are done mitered. But to be able to do some cope & stick work would be nice. Any ideas or pics?

thanks
james

Jim Becker
12-12-2008, 9:30 PM
I see no reason why you couldn't incorporate a router station into your bench setup, James. If you use a lift, it would also be easy either just put in the smallest insert and ignore it when you're doing other work, or make an insert to the same dimensions that you can slip in after "pulling" the lift and router out of the bench. Use tracks for your router fence and you can make that easily adjustable and removable, too.

Myk Rian
12-12-2008, 9:43 PM
Personally, I wouldn't go cutting a big hole in my bench top. Make a fold-down leaf for the router. Swing it down when you aren't using it.

James Reichman
12-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Jim I was thinking of cutting two parallel slots in the top to mount the fence. That would give me my depth of cut adjustment. I was thinking a 1 1/2" or 2" solid mdf top laminated with mica on top of a "box" mounted inside my existing frame . I would be using the Milwaukee 5625-20 on the PRL-V2 lift.
thanks
james