PDA

View Full Version : Variation of the 875 plane

Ron Brese
12-12-2008, 1:20 PM
The plane in these pics was one that I had wished to have ready for WIA in Berea, alas time ran out and so now it is complete. This is a variation of my 875 plane which is an A-13 styled plane. This plane is pitched at 55 degrees and features a subtle application gold mother of pearl inlays. I have once again used some of the 60 year old picasso rosewood (I love this stuff) and I think it works well with the gold mother of pearl.

Thanks for looking,

Ron Brese

Phillip Pattee
12-12-2008, 1:22 PM
What a beautiful plane. Thanks for building such nice tools!

Michael Faurot
12-12-2008, 2:30 PM
Wow! That's got to be one of the most beautiful tools I've ever seen. Nice job.

Jeff Wittrock
12-12-2008, 3:46 PM
Beautiful work as always Ron.

Dewey Torres
12-12-2008, 3:48 PM
Another RB Beauty!

The inlays look fantastic... big fan:)

Joel Goodman
12-12-2008, 4:36 PM
That's classy!

Leigh Betsch
12-12-2008, 4:39 PM
I assume the knob at the top of the blade is a screw that threads into the tote, what type of threaded insert do you use in the tote?

John Schreiber
12-12-2008, 4:57 PM
Reminder: If you are getting engaged to be married, this is not the appropriate symbol. Just because you think it is more beautiful than a little diamond ring, doesn't mean she will understand.

Alan DuBoff
12-13-2008, 1:49 AM
Ron,

That's a beauty!

I really like the inlay, and have been wanting to inlay some type of gem/stone in some wood, and reading up on it.

How do you cut the inlay? Do you use chisels and/or small router plane?

Hank Knight
12-13-2008, 4:29 AM
I don't know, Ron. That iron looks a little flimsy to me. ;)

Seriously, that's a beauty!

Hank

Doug Shepard
12-13-2008, 7:36 AM
If I didn't already have a pimped out plane, I'd buy one. But what happened to the planned abalone Christmas reindeer inlay on the cap screw?:D Seriously - I can only imagine how good that looks in person with the shell reflecting light from various angles.

scott spencer
12-13-2008, 7:49 AM
Wow...I can't believe you made that. Not too often do I feel jealous of other's talents, but geez, you're in a different league! There's a bunch of things going on there that I can't even begin to imagine doing!

Congratulations...that's really beautiful and amazing!

Jameel Abraham
12-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Another one of Ron's beauties. The gold diamonds really add some class to an already classy plane.

Leigh, the button at the top of the iron doesn't thread into the tote. It's there as a safety device. It prevents the iron from sliding through the sole when loosening the lever cap. With a blade like that, one could loose a toe! Like a miniature French guillotine for the feet.

Johnny Kleso
12-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Sweet.......

Ron Brese
12-14-2008, 8:04 AM
Thanks Johnny,

Without the lever cap screws and pivot pins that you make for me these tools wouldn't be nearly as refined.

Ron Brese

Ron Brese
12-14-2008, 8:21 AM
Thanks to my good friend Doug Shepard for planting the seed for the idea of the shell inlays. Doug and I talked about shell inlays in regards to putting them in the lever cap screws, but Johnny's screws are too nice to modify so I decided they would contrast better against the wood.

Thanks again Mr. Two Cats, and thanks to everyone for the kind compliments on this tool. It's this kind of encouragement that sends a guy back to work in the shop early Monday morning exploring new ideas.

Ron

Doug Shepard
12-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Ron
I didnt spot this originally but the curve on the top of the tote got me wondering. How thick are those diamonds you picked up? I found out the hard way how thin that stuff can be and how easy it is to blow through the show layer. Cutting that recess for it had to be interesting too.

Ron Brese
12-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Doug cutting the recess for the tote top inlay was a bit precarious. For one thing the inlay would not lay flat for scribing as it was sitting on the crest of the radius. It's just one of those things where you just can't get in a hurry. You just have to go about your business steadily and carefully until you get it accomplished.

These inlays range from .055 to .060 so there is a little more thickness to work with than the ones we had in earlier attempts, however as you know if you work thru too much of the thickness the color can change dramatically so it was an exercise picking the right piece of inlay for the application and then hoping for the best result. (grin)

Ron Brese

Jim Koepke
12-14-2008, 1:38 PM
WOW!

Is all I can say, but the machine will not take a message shorter then 10 characters.

jim

Johnny Kleso
12-14-2008, 2:43 PM
Thanks Ron :)

Doug Shepard
12-14-2008, 3:05 PM
Thanks Ron. Out of curiosity how did you do those recesses? I'm guessing some chisel work for the edges, but it's so small that I cant picture being able to fit much in there. Milling machine maybe?

David Keller NC
12-14-2008, 3:10 PM
Doug - One way to create a defined-shape recess on a complex-curvature surface is to use Ian Norbury's method - one creates a template by cutting a shape out of sheet lead, then hammering the piece to the complex curvature, which gives you an edge to mark around with a knife. From there, it's simple a matter of excavating with chisels (or a dremel, whatever you prefer)

Thomas Kila
12-14-2008, 4:36 PM
As the proud owner of two of your planes...:D...I have to say you have yet to cease amazing me. I really love the look of those inlays. And Johnny Kleso's work is definitely no small contribution to the overall appearance of this plane. I can only imagine what you'll come up with over the next few years.

John Shuk
12-14-2008, 5:40 PM
I'm sure wouldn't know how to use it properly but I'd sure love to own something that gorgeous.

Ron Brese
12-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Once again guys, thanks for the compliments.

I actually put a rotary tool bit in the mill so that I could control the depth of cut quite accurately. I excavated as much as I could in this manner and this gave me an entry point to excavate the remaining material and then I worked to the scribe line with an extremely sharp 1/4" chisel.

Ron Brese