PDA

View Full Version : Makita LS0714 miter saw?

Peter Kuhlman
12-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Any one have this or used it? I realize that it won't do crown molding but I have never needed that ability. Would be used in a very small shop for hobby furniture and stuff. Looking for something compact without spending for the Kapex. Had a LS1014 but had lots of problems with that so not truly a Makita fan but this 7 1/4" unit would be nice to move around and easier to store.
Thanks. Pete

Bill White
12-12-2008, 2:00 PM
Sold it when I bought my 10", but I often think that it really seems stupid to fire it up to cut a little ol' piece of 1/4 round.
If ya don't need the size, why not?
Makita makes good stuff IMO.
Bill

Joe Spear
12-14-2008, 9:12 AM
Does anybody else have any experience with this saw? I am considering getting a miter saw for breaking down long boards. If it is accurate and well-built, this might be the one I would get.

John Mark Lane
05-28-2010, 8:20 PM
Reviving this old thread to see if by chance there is any more recent experience with this saw. ??

Odd blade size at 7 1/2...? I assume you can put a 7 1/4 inch blade on it and just lose 1/8 inch depth capacity?

I'm looking for a small-ish SCMS. Don't need depth more than 2 inch, really don't need more than 1 1/2. Also considering the Craftsman 7 /14, model 21194 (which is about 1/3 the price of the Makita)....

Mark

Joe Spear
05-28-2010, 9:46 PM
I ended up with the Hitachi 8 1/2" slider and, by some weird coincidence, used it today for the first time in months to cut some framing material for pegboard display panels for my daughter. I like it, and it can handle boards almost 12 inches wide and a bit thicker than the Makita.

Karl Brogger
05-29-2010, 8:48 PM
I have one, it is an awesome saw. Cuts very nicely. Motion is smooth. And most importantly it weighs almost nothing. I bought mine off of Amazon, and ordered a Forrest blade for it at the same time. I use it almost solely for cutting crown, and have done 8-1/2" crown on it a few times with good results.

I would highly recommend it. There's only two things that I do not like about and that it is that it doesn't bevel in both directions, and it doesn't have a soft start. Not a huge deal, but nice if you need to bevel the other direction.