PDA

View Full Version : Building a steam box

Jeremy Rayburn
12-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I think I am about to build my first steam box, and wanted to get some Creeker recommendations as to use wood or pvc, or any other tips and trick you guys might have.

David Keller NC
12-12-2008, 11:37 AM
One really quick, easy, and cheap method is to use the recommendations of Roy Underhill - metal stovepipe material. You simply buy a "tee" and straight length a little longer than the pieces you intend to steam. The tee goes over your steam pot, and you stuff rags in each end to keep the steam in. Roy boils his water on a woodstove, but a slightly less knukle-dragging method is to use a 5 gallon metal gasoline can (never used for gasoline storage, of course) over a coleman propane-fired camp stove.

It's cheap, and dirt simple. If you decide you're going to do it a lot, building a square wooden box out of cypress is worth it, as it holds heat much better than the metal stove pipe or PVC.

Rick Phelan
12-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Wow, Jeremy, you've opened a can of worms here!! There are as many ways to build a steam box as you can imagine. When I was studying boat building in British Columbia, we used an old section of aluminum pipe, (about 8" dia.), that came off a concrete pumper truck. A wooden plug was fashioned for one end and was screwed on, loosely packed rags were stuffed in the other end to allow for steam escape, reduce pressure and dodge the dangers of true 'live steam', (steam under pressure). You'll find no end of info on the web regarding the potentially life ending properties of 'live steam'.

I have seen steam boxes built of simple junker boards with a hole in one end for steam to enter from an electric tea kettle and rags in ther other, cut from one piece of foil backed insulation, PVC pipe, and on and on.

It depends on your shop room available, intended use (one time or repeat and subject lumber dimensions), and largely what you have on hand.

It really is an amazing process - I saw a fellow bending 2 1/4" square WO frames for a Richardson cruiser back east and when he took about a 12' length out of the steam box, he bent it into a teardrop where both ends were touching.

So, I guess the answer to your question from me is build it out of whatever you have handy, don't let the pressure build up by closing it too tightly, steam about 1 hour/inch thickness and post pictures of whatever monstrosity/artwork fits.

I have heard that our method for bending oak in an aluminum tube might impart a stain on certain kinds of wood, but that was a long time ago and I don't recall the details.

More musings than an answer, I guess.

Rick

Lee Schierer
12-12-2008, 12:27 PM
I would advise against the use of PVC as it softens at 180 degrees and if your steam source is really working the way you want it to you will melt the pipe with the steam (212).

Richard Wolf
12-12-2008, 4:07 PM
I like to use PVC for easy and fast set up. Yes it does soften, so you must support it over the length of the pipe. It's cheap enough that it's easy to cut the pipe to the size you need.

Richard

Myk Rian
12-12-2008, 4:26 PM
Our local WW group had a presentation on this. The fellow uses foil laminated foam board to make the steam boxes. Just use aluminum duct tape to seal it up. When done, cut the tape, stack the boards, and store it.

David DeCristoforo
12-12-2008, 6:23 PM
OK, this is one where you can really get carried away. But all you need is some 1/2" CDX plywood. Bang a box together and drill a hole to stick your steam hose through. Some stickers on the bottom to keep your wood up a bit would be about the only "refinement" you need. Plug the ends with plywood and rags and let er rip. Anything more than this is overkill.

Larry Edgerton
12-12-2008, 7:02 PM
If you see some sewer work going on stop and talk to the workers and ask for some scrap pipe, the bigger the better. I asked and they gave me a 9' section of 12" pvc, did up the end with a hinged door on one end and a place for steam to go in the other an "Shazam!" we gots a steamer.

David Keller NC
12-12-2008, 8:51 PM
By the way - There is a form of PVC that is, as I understand it, less subject to softening when heated - it's designated CPVC. When I needed a box, I did the Underhill thing (with stove pipe - about $12 at a specialty hardware store), so I'm not sure if you can get CPVC in large sizes.

But if really want to go the PVC pipe route, one idea would be to check the telephone book for a Habitat for Humanity Re-Use center. The one in my area is a bit of a junk shop, but there's almost always leftover construction supplies sitting around (and for dirt cheap).

Rob Parsons
12-12-2008, 10:40 PM
I built this out of some scrap pine. I call it SteamDog.

Kevin Adams
12-13-2008, 7:25 AM
Hi Rob--

How well does that kettle work? I bought two of those when Lee Valley was closing them out, but haven't got around to hooking them up yet. Do you steam right there in the shop? I've done steaming outside, but wanted to try it inside when it's too bitter cold outside and that's why I thought these kettles would be ideal. My shop is in my basement, however, so I am concerned about introducing too much vapor into the house.

Thanks.
Kevin

Rob Parsons
12-13-2008, 9:20 AM
Hi Kevin,

The kettle works great. One kettle produces enough steam for small to medium projects. Two would be plenty for anything else. They do need to be refilled fairly often. One idea I saw was to drill a hole in the pipe and use some sort of fill tube. A cork would plug it between fills.

In the second picture, I'm actually using it in a basement garage with the door open during the fall. My shop is in the basement but I also have a basement garage. I think it would be okay inside as long as you were not steaming more than three or four hours at a time, and as long as you had some air circulation. Inside air is usually very dry in the winter heating season anyway. I wouldn't do it in a tightly sealed shop.

Kevin Adams
12-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Rob--

Thanks for the advice. How do you fill your kettle up now...do you have to unhook it and refill or do you have another method? And do you refill will hot water, i.e., heat some other water up on the stove? I was just wondering how to refill without losing too much momentum from the steaming process. I guess with 2 kettles, I could always heat the 2nd one up as the first one is running low and just make a quick switcheroo.

Thanks.
Kevin

Rich Engelhardt
12-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Hello,

I built this out of some scrap pine. I call it SteamDog.
OMG - that is so funny.
I have zero use for a steam box,,,,but,,I just gotta build me one of those and add some ears, eyes, collar and a tail.
:D

Or maybe a a big pig thing or a rhino.. :D

Ray Schafer
12-13-2008, 11:40 AM
You guys are inspiring me. I thought that steaming was never going to be something that I would consider, but now that I see how easy it can be to make a steamer, I may have to do it!

Rob Parsons
12-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Kevin, Its easy to fill. Just pull it out so you have access to the pipe and pour some water in. I don't heat it up, but I do use hot water from the tap. It steams back up quickly. Its not really a problem at all.

I could have easily gotten carried away with Steamdog, but I didn't want to provide my wife with any more material for the competency hearing.

Another picture of Steamdog and his progeny.

Kevin Adams
12-13-2008, 4:14 PM
Thanks again, Rob, seems easy enough to me. Looks like you have a nice shop and those Shaker oval boxes are well done.

Kevin