PDA

View Full Version : Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus

Steve Clarkson
12-12-2008, 10:03 AM
I love this editorial, so I made the attached Corel file that I plan to engrave on SOMETHING. I converted it to curves and saved it in v10 and I made it to be for an 8x10. It's probably copyrighted, so you should probably only use it for your personal enjoyment.....

Hope I didn't make too many Corel mistakes in creating this.......

Bill Cunningham
12-14-2008, 7:06 PM
And if you would like to listen to the story. The is from the CBC Canada 'public' brodcaster... .n .ra format

Tim Baude
12-16-2008, 9:35 PM
Thank you Steve,
As I sit here, I am engraving 1/8 inch maple with "Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus". It was a favorite of mine growing up, especially because my Mothers name is Virginia. I have put it on a scroll that I will cut out. This is going to be a Christmas present for a family member. I will take a picture when I am done and post. Still a newbie, but learning everyday and getting better because of all the great people on the "Creek".
Thanks
Tim

Steve Clarkson
12-17-2008, 8:11 AM
Your welcome Tim. I painted the back of an 8x10 piece of glass red and then reverse engraved it. When I held it up to the window, it came out perfectly......except the small text was just a little too small. I was planning to paint it white, but I'm not sure if the text will be readable enough. I would suggest decreasing the size of the headline and increasing the size of the letter in the future.

Tim Baude
02-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Here is the Yes Virginia that I did for a Christmas present....now half my family wants one.... Came out ok, as I said still learning everyday.
Tim

Steve Clarkson
02-28-2009, 8:20 AM
Nice Job Tim.....I really like that scroll.

bryan henderson
02-28-2009, 8:04 PM
Tim

Are you willing to share this scroll file in a corel file with us????

Bryan

Tim Baude
03-01-2009, 9:24 AM
I will post a corel file for this when I am at my other computer.
Tim

Guy Mathews
11-28-2009, 8:10 AM
Steve et al,

I posted this over at Facebook and rather then start a new thread I figured I would hijack the one Steve started last year. I hope that it inspires a few people to realize the best gifts you can give are the ones that come from the heart and not the wallet!

As it appears on my Facebook wall. "There comes a time in your children's life when they hear that Santa Clause does not exist. That happened to my oldest daughter Kayla. I assured her it was okay and even made a bet with her that I could get pictures of Santa leaving them candy while they slept. On Christmas Eve I took photos while they slept and left candy beside their pillows. Photoshop and some stock images of Santa did the rest. The next morning as Jen and I tried to sleep an extra 10 minutes... (no such luck on Christmas) we heard the girls screaming with joy. The framed pictures were left unwrapped and in plain sight for them to find. The photos reaffirmed the fact Santa is indeed real and I am the second best daddy in the world... There is too much pressure being number one!
Another Christmas will soon be here and while my girls have just about everything you can imagine, they treasure these photos over everything else.
Go the extra mile this year and give your kids something to believe in... that and a 50 inch Hi-def flat screen TV!!!"

With Christmas around the corner and the economy sucking for many, I hope that someone can use this idea or something similar to extend childhood just a little longer and maybe give their children something to believe in that did not come from a package or box store.

Guy

Anthony Welch
11-28-2009, 11:59 AM
I will post a corel file for this when I am at my other computer.
Tim

Apparently, Tim is still traveling to get to his other computer:D.

Anthony

Tim Baude
11-28-2009, 12:01 PM
It is a long walk and I have a short memory......I promise to post before next Christmas.....
Tim

Dee Gallo
11-28-2009, 2:45 PM
Guy, I'll bet they will cherish those photos forever - what a great idea.... how is it they didn't wake up from the flash?

cheers, dee

Guy Mathews
11-28-2009, 3:35 PM
Guy, I'll bet they will cherish those photos forever - what a great idea.... how is it they didn't wake up from the flash?

cheers, dee

I liquored em up on egg nog!!! Just kidding.

Kayla stirred a little but did not wake up. Alexis could sleep through a bomb going off in her room and will wake up at the butt crack of dawn with a smile on her face ready to take on the world.

Jen and I have been very fortunate. Both girls are well behaved, (mainly because we are parents and not their friends) and bed time has never been a hassle with them. Both are active during the day and I am sure that plays a good role in their sleep habits.

I am still trying to figure out what to do for them this year for the unique Christmas Gift. They have everything you could imagine and Jen and I are running out of ideas.

I am making them carved signs on the CNC for their bedroom doors to replace the paper and crayon ones that are taped to them now.

They are going through the Kayla Keep Out and Alexis From 6 to 7 Only Otherwise Stay Out! phase of their childhood. Typical sisters. They love each other but they have their moments.

On a seperate note Dee. I love the Pomeranian in your photo. My brother Gary and his wife have two. They are such cool little dogs.

Have a good weekend and hope your Thanksgiving was memorable with good times only.

Guy

Dave Johnson29
11-29-2009, 10:00 AM
On a seperate note Dee. I love the Pomeranian in your photo.

:D My dog loves them too, says they are very tasty. :D

Guy Mathews
11-29-2009, 12:31 PM
:D My dog loves them too, says they are very tasty. :D

That reminds of the old joke about the poodle and the German Shepherd.

A guy with huge German Shepherd is making fun of a guy with a poodle when the fellow says, "My poodle just killed your German Shepherd!"
The German Shepherd's owner is stunned and he ask, "How did your little dog kill my great big tough dog?" The first fellow looks at him and replies, "I don't know, perhaps your dog choked."

I am going to hell for sure!!!!