PDA

View Full Version : Saw blades

Bob Johnson2
12-12-2008, 9:10 AM
Does anyone know of a good site for selecting and locating (or purchasing) saw blades? I'm attempting to pick up a new blade for my 8 1/4" circular saw (5/8" arbor) that will give me a good cut on 3/4 ply. Something that will limit chipping more then the combo blade I currently run. I have to leave at least a 1/4" for trimming, more likely a 1/2". In the 8-8 1/2" range there doesn't seem to be much available,much less picking out a good tooth style and count for the different size blades. I'm guessing at 48T ATB.
While I'm thinking of it, does a thin kerf make sense for cutting plywood with a circular saw, or will it just burn more?
So far I'm looked around the Amana and Freud sites.

Thanks

BOB OLINGER
12-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Bob,

I'm sure other creekers may have additional suggestions, but recently I've been using Rockler.com and woodworker.com. I've given up on the borg for good quality blades. It's easier to order through one of these catalogs or on line verses next option of driving 30 mi. to Des Moines. In addition, the website (believe for Rockler) has user comments which I find helpful.

John Thompson
12-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Try www (you know since I can't post a web-site here I believe) and add carbide and a dot and a com. ha.. ha... They carry a number of brands.. and have charts you fill in the blanks to help you select if you aren't knowledge-able of blades.

Sarge..

Vince Shriver
12-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Ridge Carbide Tool Co. offers some very fine 8 1/4 blades. They taint cheep, but they do cut nice.

Lee Schierer
12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
If you cover the cut line with masking tape the tear out will be significantly reduced if not totally eliminated. Just be sure when removing the tape to peel it toward the cut , not away from the cut. Regular masking tape works better than the painters tapes which are not as sticky.

Dewey Torres
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Amazon has always been a great place esp when you can get free shipping or other discounts.

Jeff Duncan
12-12-2008, 1:06 PM
Forrest has all different sizes of blades. For a really nice splinter free cut you could get yourself a Festool saw, they cut like a dream, but will cost you some $$$. Personally I think it's faster to cut it twice then have to stop and put masking tape everywhere you want to cut, then carefully peel it off afterward. I guess if you have the time:confused:
Before I bought the Festool I had given up on trying to get splinter free cuts with a portable saw. Now I'm just saving up for a good panel saw, then life will be much nicer:D
good luck,
JeffD

William OConnell
12-12-2008, 1:41 PM
Ridge Carbide Tool Co. offers some very fine 8 1/4 blades. They taint cheep, but they do cut nice.
I agree they're a great company who doesn't get enough good press on these forums. They're hardly ever mentioned when 10" blades come up but they are amongst my favorite blade manufacturers.

Ronald Kellison
12-12-2008, 2:34 PM
I agree they're a great company who doesn't get enough good press on these forums. They're hardly ever mentioned when 10" blades come up but they are amongst my favorite blade manufacturers.

I also agree that Ridge Carbide should get more attention. I have the TS2000 as my basic blade on my Unisaw and never take it off unless I'm doing some heavy ripping. It's a great all-round workhorse!

Regards,

Ron