PDA

View Full Version : New Toys

Scott Lux
12-12-2008, 8:59 AM
I bought the lathe "Black Friday" and the sander the following weekend, but I just got around to taking some pictures. Because "If there's no picture, it didn't happen."

I bought the Excelsior VS Mini Lathe after Shaun Gardner pointed out it would be on sale ($399 marked down to $199). I debated driving to Cincy (closest Rockler store) and decided not to. I took my chances online. I ended up paying $53 in shipping and handling, but I would have spent $25 in gas and 5 hours driving to pick it up.

It is definitely a step up from my Wilton. Bigger capacity in both directions, strong, smooth, and quiet. My Wilton is smooth and quiet too, but not as strong. As you can see from the pic, I don't have room for a bigger lathe, so this lathe seemd like a great step up. There is a stopper with CA drying on it.

I bought the sander at the local Woodcraft. $139 marked down to $119 with a one-day markdown to $99. Add to that a $10 gift certificate and you've got quite a deal.

Jim Kountz
12-12-2008, 9:46 AM
Congrats on the new lathe, looks a sturdy lil fellow! Now get out there and turn man turn!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2008, 9:47 AM
Congrats on the nice haul. When I got my Jet 1220 from Rockler I got to see that lathe of yours in action. They were doing stoppers and it performed well.

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Scott - congrats on your new lathe! Looks like it will work out great for you! Nice sander also! Been thinking about one of those also for when I'm not on the lathe!

Scott Lux
12-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Now get out there and turn man turn!!

Sheeesh!! That's all I've been doing. In the last 3 months I've turned 60 stoppers, 13 spatulas, and 6 pens! I have orders for 6 more stoppers and one more pen, then then I can start on the gifts for my wife and mom. Oh, and my son wants a walnut/pear ring.

I have done 2 stoppers on the new lathe. Very nice. The big surprise was that my PSI chuck fit the new lathe without any adapter.

David Drickhamer
12-12-2008, 9:48 PM
Congrats on the new lathe and sander. Last year I bought two of these lathes for the local high school to use for a Freedom Pen Turn-a-thon. We had to replace the bearings on the head stock on one of them but since then they've run great. Your going to be happy with your choice.
Dave