PDA

View Full Version : Betcha can't beat this...

Rick Potter
12-12-2008, 3:03 AM
I have a Makita cordless 9.6V drill that I got in 1982. It is a single speed, takes the stick batteries and has a keyed chuck. Still runs strong. Only work done on it was two new trigger switches over the years. The Makita repair center replaced the first one when it was over 10 years old free. I think the other one cost $10 or so. No wonder you can still get batteries for it for about $30.

Anyone have a cordless older than that??

Rick Potter

PS: I am giving it to another needy woodworker who will undoubtably get good use out of it.

Chris Parks
12-12-2008, 5:32 AM
Makita 7.2V about the same age and still working with no problems in that time at all.

Victor Stearns
12-12-2008, 7:02 AM
I believe that I may have the twin to the drill you describe. Around that time, early 80's we purchased the Makita for Dad. After his death, I inherited the drill. Still runs strong. May not have as much torque than my 19-volt but sure is lighter in weight.
Keep Old Tools Alive!
Victor

Ben Martin
12-12-2008, 8:06 AM
Geez, and I thought that getting 5 years out of my Ridgid was a good deal...

They definitely don't make them like they used to, explains why I buy mostly used tools.

Congrats!

David DeCristoforo
12-12-2008, 9:34 AM
Well it's not cordless but I have a Virutex biscuit jointer I bought in the mid 70's that's still going strong. Put new bearings in it a few years ago, It's the only tool I ever had with a switch that could be taken apart and cleaned or repaired!

Rich Enders
12-12-2008, 9:44 AM
In the corded group I have a Craftsman 1/2 inch power drill from the late 60's that is still a horse.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-12-2008, 9:47 AM
I have that same drill. don't use it a lot, though.

BOB OLINGER
12-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I have a cordless Makita that takes stick batteries purchased in early "80s. Mine is a keyless chuck. I need to buy a new battery or a new charger - not sure which - can anyone give me a clue? If I remember right, the charger won't stay on very long, so the batteries don't fully charge. Meanwhile, I use my DeWalt cordless, but would use the Makita if I could solve the battery thing.

Also, I have a Rockwell router, believe 1 HP, given and purchased by my wife in early to mid '70's - still works like a champ, only router I have. Some day, likely soon, I think I will add a 1/2", maybe like the Boosch. Meanwhile, amazing the Rockwell keeps routing.

Jim Becker
12-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Nothing cordless that old, but I do have a B&D 7 1/4" circular saw (orange) from the late 1970s/early 1980s that still runs like a top. I rarely use it as I have Festool in the shop, but it gets the nod for home improvement and construction work for sure.

Chris Padilla
12-12-2008, 10:37 AM
I have some underwear from the early 80s.... ;)

Chip Lindley
12-12-2008, 10:41 AM
I have three different Makita 9.6v drill/drivers from the 80s/90s. All are still working fine!! Those batteries are kinda fragile though. My FAV is the little right angle drill, which I use constantly in tight places. It is still LightYears ahead of those Chunky ZillionVolt driver/drills that have all the torque but none of the agility my lil Makita does!!

Richard M. Wolfe
12-12-2008, 11:14 AM
OK, a similar story but maybe a bit better. A 9.6v long battery Makita that I bought early to mid eighties that is now pretty much relegated to second fiddle as the chuck is getting pretty worn and I figure too costly to replace. Other than that no problems.

I figure the batteries are the star of the show, however. Granted, I may not use my drill as much as other people but over the years its seen a bunch of hours. The batteries? Yes, they need replacing but do still take somewhat of a charge. I have bought a total of one replacement battery since I got the drill.

fred woltersdorf
12-12-2008, 11:58 AM
i have two 7.2v makita's from that era that i can't kill but i use the 12v makita impact drill the most.

Thomas Knighton
12-12-2008, 12:57 PM
I had a Milwaukee corded drill that was older than I am. I only say that because I have no clue when Dad bought the blasted thing, so I'll say it's at least 30 years old (even though I'm 35). The only reason I don't still have it is due to theft. Some crook somewhere has one heck of a good drill :(

Tom

Brad Noble
12-12-2008, 6:56 PM
I have some underwear from the early 80s.... ;)

WARNING

TMI TMI !!! (too much information)

Brad

John Ricci
12-12-2008, 8:44 PM
7.2 Makita 6010 single speed drill bought new in 82...3 switches, 2 chucks, 1 gear and finally just yakked the motor:( I used it for a lot of car stereo work back in the day and worked it hard. Doesn't anything last anymore???:D

J.R.

Peter Quinn
12-12-2008, 9:06 PM
I have a makita 9.6V from the early eighties, got it second hand without a battery, put one in it, still runs strong. Probably the reason Makita makes all of the other cordless drills I own and is the first one I recommend when people ask which one to get.

I have a Miller Falls 1/2" high torque slow speed drill from the early 50's (pre cordless) that my grandfather used in his plumbing business for 35 years to bore large holes, my dad used as an electrician and I now own. I have punched holes in steel, used it to mix compound and thin set in 5 gal batches, even small batches of concrete. No wonder they went out of business, no one ever needed to buy more than one

Rick Potter
12-13-2008, 3:34 AM
If you guys can't beat my Makita's age, and try going corded on me for longevity, I guess I have to throw in my Black and Decker 1/4" drill. It is from WWII, early 40's, and runs great. I bought it a few years ago for $15, for chuckles. This sucker is a tank, about 6" in diameter, with a click on click off switch, 1/4" pin type chuck (no gear drive key, a special two pin chuck key), all metal with brass info plates, and well used. Can't kill it.

Rick Potter