PDA

View Full Version : G0634 planed surface

dan lemkin
12-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Hi,

I just got and setup my new jointer/planer... Nice toy.
I notice that there is the slightest of scalloping, but that is barely noticeable and certainly less than my little makita. What I do notice is that on several pieces, the out-feed roller is creating these little micro-perforations in the planed wood.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do they sand out easily? Will the issue go away once the roller becomes embedded with sawdust and the knurling becomes shallower? I will take some high res pictures tomorrow and post them. (These are hard-woods: hard maple, zebrawood, african rosewood)

thanks for any feedback, advice.

-dan

Joe Chritz
12-12-2008, 1:17 AM
In order...

Yes
Yes, especially with a drum sander. :rolleyes:
No

I don't have a spiral on the planer but my jointer has a Byrd head and scallops are very faint but noticable. They go away with the ROS easily. It isn't a fault it is a matter of geometry, there really isn't anyway to get rid of it.

I am more worried about the .003 or .004 snipe I get with my planer. I still can't get it tweaked just right.

Joe

Chip Lindley
12-12-2008, 1:23 AM
Hello Dan. Congrats on your new Machine! The scalloping you report is just the nature of the beast. Some report the scalloping worse than others.

But the minute outfeed roller marks are just what they are. The feed roller might be able adjusted to minimize marking, yet still give adequate traction to pull the wood through the planer.

A planer is a thicknessing machine, not a final finishing machine. What we can hope for with a surface planer is a a flat surface, and wood of constant thickness. The insert head machines are noted for lack of tearout in highly figured woods, at the expense of the slight corrugations you notice. In all reality, the impressions of the outfeed serrations are no worse than the knife scalloping.

All wood from the planer is usually final sanded before finish is applied, unless an indivual's own standards dictate otherwise. I run all my planed stock through the ol' Grizz drum sander, and then final sand with the ROS. Your standards will dictate how far you go in preparing stock before applying the stain and finish.

Rick Fisher
12-12-2008, 5:27 AM
I have a GI 20" planer with a helical head. Its a wonderful machine but if I try to take too small a cut, the steel infeed roller leaves marks that wont be taken away by the cutterhead.

The General head doesnt scallop. Its one of their sales tools. It does however give a bit more tearout in maple than other folks describe. The tearout is minor compared to the old straight knife planer.

I think with current technology, you trade scalloping for tear-out.