PDA

View Full Version : A warped Applewood bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
12-11-2008, 10:40 PM
I got this Applewood this past summer, and it had already split some in the pith area, but I decided to still make a thin walled bowl out of it and just let it do what it wanted to do, and it did, quite warped by now :D.
It's a little thing about 9" and quite thin, needed a lot of sanding by hand and power sand while chucked up on the lathe, only inside bottom area I was able to power sand with the lathe turning.
I had glued the splits with thick CA before starting to turn it, and it has stayed together quite well, of course the glued splits are going to be there for as long as it will be a bowl :eek: :D
All comments are welcome and appreciated :)

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2008, 11:28 PM
That's some pretty wood Leo. Yep it did warp. Looks pretty good.

David Walser
12-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Leo,

I like the bowl very much. I think it would look very nice sitting on a table filled with Granny Smith apples.

Have you put a finish on it yet? It looks like the wood has some nice character, but it's not "popping" as much as it should.

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Nice bowl Leo! When you say thin - you mean THIN! Surprised it didn't crack on you while drying! Pretty wood and the warp effect sure gives it a lot of character!

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks Bernie :D, sure did :D

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Hi David :D, thanks for the comment :), yes it does have a bees paste wax on it, as I assume it will be used for finger food etc. and so I removed the tenon altogether, with the soft Beeswax it feels so good to hold it I don't think the character will be lost, and with use the bowl will be looking even better I believe :)

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi Steve :D, Thank you :), there's no choice really if you want to keep a piece like that from destroying itself, you've got to make it thin so it is able to twist and do whatever it wants to do, and of course trying to slow-down the initial drying does help a lot also, but it does give you a lot of this what we all like to do .................. Sanding- NOT :eek: :rolleyes:.
You goto love doing it or else just don't even think of starting this stuff :D :rolleyes:

Scott Lux
12-12-2008, 9:59 AM
A warped Applewood bowl

Isn't that redundant? Aren't all apple bowls warped?

Nice bowl. I love apple, and have a friend with an orchard, so I have an nearly inexhaustable supply.

One day I'll have to take a pic of my son's Pencil Cup. It looks like it has a pouring spout. Apple always moves.

Jim Becker
12-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Now that would look great around here in our decor! LOL Very nice piece, Leo.

Jim Kountz
12-12-2008, 1:07 PM
Leo nice job saving an otherwise lost blank! I have some maple bowls around here that warped like that although I wasnt going for that and I actually kind of like a few of them. Thanks for posting this!

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2008, 2:28 PM
Isn't that redundant? Aren't all apple bowls warped?

Nice bowl. I love apple, and have a friend with an orchard, so I have an nearly inexhaustable supply.

One day I'll have to take a pic of my son's Pencil Cup. It looks like it has a pouring spout. Apple always moves.
Hi Scott thanks for your comment :D,
but no that doesn't need to be the case (warping) if you let it dry and give it time, I've turned boxes from Applewood and they are just very nicely behaved, also bowls, but yes you can let it warp also, take your pick with Applewood.
I really like turning Applewood and the looks of it finished.
Here a couple of pic's to show some of it straight and dry, boxes and a bowl :)

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2008, 2:29 PM
Hi Jim, Thank you, it will get a new home today, hope they will be happy with it;-))