PDA

View Full Version : Vibration trouble with Bosch ROS10 sander?

Shawn Christ
12-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Happy Holidays to all!

I have a question about what I perceive as a problem with my random orbit sander. I recently purchased a Bosch jig saw kit that included a bonus Bosch ROS10 5" single-speed ROS. I believe this was a new-for-2008 model with seemingly positive reviews (the few I could find).

Here's the problem: the sander base seems to wobble when orbiting, causing the unit to vibrate during operation, and seemingly resulting in an unlevel surface. I sent the unit in to Bosch for repair under warranty, and it came back better, but still not up to my expectations. So I sent it back again for repair. The guys at the hardware store acted like I was crazy when I showed up again, but agreed to send it back.

Am I off-base here? Shouldn't the base orbit wobble-free? I have a cheapie Craftsman that orbits smooth-as-silk, a unit that was supposed to be replaced by the Bosch. Shouldn't I expect similar or better performance?

I know this is an entry-level tool, but it's still a Bosch. I'm a weekend hobbyist and a no-frills, 5" single-speed ROS suits my needs fine. No need for a Festool or anything fancy here (at least, not yet). I just want a dependable, acceptable quality tool that gives good results and will last awhile.

Joe Chritz
12-12-2008, 1:30 AM
Do you have a vacuum attached? The suction will make it vibrate sometimes.

Does it do it intermittently? Often if you move it one way it will chatter some but not the other. I think that is because of the rotation of the disk but that is a guess on my part.

Is it smooth when it isn't sanding? If it only chatters on the workpiece I would lean toward technique or other outside factor. I am assuming since the other unit is OK it is something else but sometimes different models "handle" different.

I thought the PC333 I have was smooth until I got the 5" festool. I is all a matter of degrees I guess.

Joe

Shawn Christ
12-12-2008, 8:08 AM
Thanks Joe. Recently I've used a vacuum; earlier I used the filter canister. Same issue and results with both, but I will check to see if the vac exacerbates the problem. That's a good idea.

Nope, constant wobble regardless of direction.

I can see the pad wobble, intermittently and slightly, when it is in motion off the table. Before the unit was fixed the first time, the sander almost hopped or 'threw' itself in odd directions. That has improved, but it still vibrates to the point where it is difficult to keep a good, even movement.

glenn bradley
12-12-2008, 8:15 AM
Hmmm, free or not; one way to be sure would be to get a replacement. The store where you got it may not be able to do this for you; for example, this sander only comes as a freebie and is not available separately. If that is the case, email or call Bosch directly (http://www.boschtools.com/Service/ContactUs/Pages/default.aspx). They will almost automatically refer you to a service center so you will have to emphasize that you desire a replacement, not "another" repair. . . 3 strikes and all that.

All that being said, my 1295VS will sometimes dance a bit. This is due to me running the wrong speed for the grit or material. Some folks cure this by muscling the sander down into the material which we all know is a bad thing to do. Your problem sounds different but you could confirm by putting a piece of towel or even synthetic pad on the sander and running it across something like your table saw top. If the vibration is present without the abrasive in place you can be pretty sure it is not load dependant like bad bearings or poor fit.