PDA

View Full Version : Which Oscillating Sander to Buy????

Paul Canaris
12-11-2008, 8:09 PM
I'm looking at Grizzly, Shop Fox, Jet, General and Steel City floor standers. Is there anyone of these you would avoid buying based on experience using them? Appreciate your comments.

Tom Godley
12-11-2008, 9:30 PM
I have the grizzly -- It is a nice tool -- especially so when you consider the price.

Very vice top

Paul Canaris
12-11-2008, 9:43 PM
Tom do you own the 1071 or the 9922? How long have you had it. I had a Ryobi and it was a real P.O.S. that didn't hold up through a half dozen good sized projects. So one of my main concerns is durability (once bit).:D

Rick Fisher
12-12-2008, 6:06 AM
One of the members here just got a used Max sander for the same price as a new Grizzly.

http://www.timberww.com/usedEquipSpecs.aspx?equipment_ID=595

http://www.tannewitz.com/m_catalog10_07.asp

If you can find a similar deal.. I would consider it. The pictures of Joe's machine resemble an old sherman tank sitting in front of the Legion in the next town.... :)

Tom Godley
12-12-2008, 9:21 AM
It is the 1071.

I bought it when I took a trip out to Williamsport - a few months ago.

I wanted a large table -- and only the floor models had the size I wanted.

It is a solid tool -- It is more tool than I needed -- but I wanted the large table.

I have not heard anything negative about the tool -- It runs very quiet and the operation is smooth.

Adam Grills
12-12-2008, 5:58 PM
Got a GI floor model and its has been great in the short time I have owned it. Bought it used and it works like new. I have put some fair hours on it and its great. Definitely no regrets.
Adam.

Steve Kohn
12-12-2008, 9:49 PM
I bought a used Grizzly 1071. I have already done 3 or 4 projects and I have been surprised on how often I find myself using it.

I gave away my benchtop Ryobi to the guy who helped me haul the 1071 home. It worked well for me except for the limited drum size (4 inches) and the lack of tilting capability.

It was also difficult to get the dust collection hose to stay on the tool.

Paul Canaris
12-15-2008, 9:30 AM
Ordered the 1071, should arrive in a week or so.

Would have gone with a used industrial unit as I have at times in the past when purchasing other items, but just did not want to deal with the whole adventure thing over the holidays:rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the advise

Paul Kinneberg
12-15-2008, 10:49 AM
I have the Shop Fox W1686 and have been very happy with it no complaints.